Tomato patch, and unidentified plant

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hello,

Although I posted a thread about worms and asked for advice yesterday.
Unfortunately, I've come across some health issues with 2 plants:

1. My tomatoes, this is my second tomato patch, which is located in a different place than the first one. The first one didn't have any problems at all, but the second one is struggling for some reason. I have my theory regarding the problem, but I decided to share the problem here, and see what ideas would surfers.

2. It's an unidentified plant, that suddenly grew near my pumpkins and watermelons, I wasn't sure what is that, so I moved it to a different pot and left it alone.
In the last few days, the leaves suddenly started to turn white. (not fungi). I wasn't sure why.

I think those are whiteflies, but again, I wanted to hear a second opinion.

Thanks in advance,
- Yinon

Attachments

• 20200815_130448.jpg
    20200815_130448.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 107
  • 20200815_142202.jpg
    20200815_142202.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200815_142206.jpg
    20200815_142206.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 98
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mrsclem is correct. It is a member of the cucurbits, I would guess a cantaloupe and I also think it has early stage powdery mildew. As far as the tomatoes are concerned I see zero evidence of whiteflies. I do see chlorotic plants and plants suffering from a lack of calcium and or magnesium. Normal fertilizing should take care of the chlorosis but is doubtful it will on the calcium/magnesium issue. The reason I say calcium or magnesium are the white areas on the leaves with the leaf veins still green, a probable sign of the lack of one or both. Calcium/magnesuim additives should be used. Also, the tomatoes should be transplanted now as they are growing much much too close together. If kept in containers each container should be at least 4 gallon minimum with one plant per container for best production.

Reaction score
Country
Israel
@Mrsclem and @Chuck thanks a lot, you guys helped me a lot.
I shall cut the infected leaves of the cucurbits plant, separate the tomatoes, and add Calcium/magnesium additives.

Again, thanks a lot.
- Yinon

Ask a Question