Tomato leaves wilting and dying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Please can anyone advise me as to what is the problem with my tomato plants. I started them in late January from seed on a heated propogator.
I reduced the heating time over 3 weeks and planted them outdoors last Friday, they were all in ok condition.
They have now been outside for 4 days and all 6 of them have either lost the bottom leaves, went yellow, or the leaves are dying as shown in pictures.
Whatever it is it came on quick, I watered them initially, and at the base only. They are planted in grow halos (my first attempt with these)
on new bags of tomorite grow bags, unfortunately the halos were topped up with soil from last years crop, not good but it was all I had to hand.

Ps the patches are more a light brown and not whitish as in the pics

Regards Rob
toms3.jpg
toms4.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, Please can anyone advise me as to what is the problem with my tomato plants. I started them in late January from seed on a heated propogator.
I reduced the heating time over 3 weeks and planted them outdoors last Friday, they were all in ok condition.
They have now been outside for 4 days and all 6 of them have either lost the bottom leaves, went yellow, or the leaves are dying as shown in pictures.
Whatever it is it came on quick, I watered them initially, and at the base only. They are planted in grow halos (my first attempt with these)
on new bags of tomorite grow bags, unfortunately the halos were topped up with soil from last years crop, not good but it was all I had to hand.

Ps the patches are more a light brown and not whitish as in the pics

Regards Rob
View attachment 63489View attachment 63490
Classic sunscald caused by improper hardening off. Just reducing heat on a heat mat is not hardening off. They need to be outside in the sunshine for a few hours each day getting acclimated to the temps, sunlight and wind. They will grow out of this as the new growth looks OK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chuck thanks for your fast reply, I hope it is that as I was fearing the worst as I have got all my plants outside now, and no pictures seemed to match what was wrong. Slightly bemused though as it was warm but not hot (18C)., seems I have to harden them off longer. Thanks a lot most appreciated Rob

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'll add that we're still getting the occasional over night frost here in Britain Rob, and that will either damage or kill tomato plants. Minimum temperature overnight shouldn't be less than 7C/45F.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sheal,
Thanks for your advice, I understand and it is a gamble I have had to take, unfortunately I am overrun with plants in the house and my missus is getting a bit irate as we are stuck inside being classed as highly vulnerable, she feels the house is being taken over, so I have had to thin them down (not very good planning on my side). I still have 15 or so chilli plants growing indoors, which I will give another couple of weeks or so before introducing them outdoors and I have sown some seeds to add to her flower box. We have a small allotment but cannot plan or get a greenhouse as it is been earmarked for houses, we have been in limbo with this for the last 4 years, and it is damned annoying,
Thanks again for your advice it is much appreciated.

Regards Rob

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible for you too rig up a temporary tent with plastic outside, just to give the plants overnight protection? I miss having a greenhouse too. I moved here to the Highlands four years ago and I said I wouldn't have a greenhouse this time, but I do miss it. It's impossible to grow tomatoes outside here. I can understand your wife feeling the house is being taken over especially if she's not a gardener. At the moment I start my seeds/seedlings off in a sun room we have but it gets too warm in there and they need moving out once they appear.

It would help if you could put your area and/or your hardiness zone (county will be enough) in your avatar box please. We all have different climates and it helps when answering questions such as yours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sheal, I have updated my details, fyi I live in Manchester area, hardiness 9a
I did buy a cheap cold frame off ebay about 4 years ago for about £40, I installed a temperature logger to see its effectiveness, unfortunately I found the temperatures went to extremes in it (in excess 35 deg daytime and 6 deg night time) and it wasn't equipped to part open the lids to vent it, I ended up wedging them open with sticks. My wife and I went on holiday early in May and whilst we were away 1 of my grandchildren thought he could walk over it. Result, 1 totally wrecked cold frame and ruined pots and plants. Also we have neighbours who's children kick a ball about invariably landing in my garden. I am in the process of building another flower box out of decking boards for the missus, I think this could serve as a cold frame in late winter as I should be able to cover it with polythene, and it will be plenty big enough to maintain seedlings after having been started indoors. It would also withstand a football landing on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I have updated my details, fyi I live in Manchester area, hardiness 9a

Thank you that's helpful.

How about something like this below, I'm considering one myself. I have a small one at the moment which really isn't enough. The only problem with them is pinning them down for windy weather but the one below is supplied with ground pegs. Combine that with a sheltered area in the garden it should be fine and is easy to dismantle for the winter months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bit loathe to buy anything that I might have to either dismantle quickly or see destroyed due to the land being built on, I am currently planting and caring on a day by day basis. The end result (we are told) will be that the land will be totally landscaped and a smaller portion given to us as a goodwill gesture, this means diggers and JCB's etc totally clearing and redeveloping the area. As it stands I have a picnic bench I built about 6 years ago and various plants that will have to be removed or stored. When all is done and permanent I hope to buy a proper greenhouse and get more organised, if I can afford it, or if can't afford it, I will buy similar to your item shown above, Incidentally there are literally hundreds of similar items on ebay, Amazon and others.

Regards Rob

Ask a Question