Tomato Leaves Turning Colors? (Pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this just the leaves getting old or something else. The leaves seem to be lighter green, with a darker green veining and curling some. I just started fertilizing them on Fridays, two weeks ago, because they are flowering. The NPK ratio for the fertilizer is 16-19-29 and I gave them some epsom salt a few days ago. The new growth on top looking dark green and fine, but some of the older leaves toward the bottom are starting to get this look. This is a regular tomato plant. I don't think I overwater them, as I've been trying hard not to. There has been one day where they needed more water because it was so hot, so they had gotten a little limp in some leaves.

I have cherry tomato plants right next to it, which seem to look fine, except for a little curling on some of the leaves toward the bottom that are older and not seeing as much sun light.

Do you think this is just older leaves or something more that I need to change? I'm still learning about growing tomatoes so any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20160619_203616-1.jpg
    20160619_203616-1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 278
  • 20160619_203622.jpg
    20160619_203622.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 287
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! :) What part of the US do you live in? That's particularly helpful in diagnosing plant problems. Tell us that, and a rough idea of your watering schedule. Oh and also are they in the ground or in containers?

To be honest it does look like a bit too much water, but no sign of blight which is a very good thing! Occasional wilting is just fine, you don't need to water if you see droopy leaves, especially during really hot spells. We've had a few very hot (for Michigan) days and many of my plants get droopy in the aftetnoon. But if I poke my finger into the soil, it's still damp. And they perk up again when the temperature drops.

I don't have a naturally green thumb but do tend to have good luck with plants, including veggies. I learned a long time ago that it's ok to let most plants get pretty crunchy between watering. :D

Dunno about the fertilizing thing. I rarely do, but I am lucky to have very rich soil here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not knowing where you are or you climate my best guess would be iron chlorosis as it's symptoms are a yellowing of the leaves while the veins stay green. However you are using a very high performance chemical fertilizer and one must be extremely careful while using it. It is very easy to over do it, especially when those last two numbers are so high. Those numbers could very well be the cause of a lack of uptake of iron or other trace minerals which might cause the same thing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Looks to me more like magnesium deficiency, which may be a direct result of pouring petro-chemicals on your food.
I recommend spraying the leaves with Epsom salts, drenching the soil with the same, or better still, a little dolomite lime in water, using weak comfrey tea at every watering, and throwing away whatever it is that has NPK 16-19-29.
Your plants are taking up so much K that they cannot take up Mg.

Ask a Question