Tomato leaves curling

red birdie

Plant lover but still green
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 7
Country
United States
I'm having trouble identifying the cause of my tomato leaf curl. Was wondering if you guys could take a look and give me your thoughts.

I have two tomato plants in separate containers on my porch. One looks great the other looks like this. The plant has grown (doubled in size ) but the top leaves are curling and have been for the last couple of weeks. It's planted in potting soil with a little compost mixed in the bottom.

There is no discoloration and the bottom leaves look unaffected. Any thoughts?
20160610_072452.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/hot_topics/2008/05tomato_leaf_roll.html

This site may help. To me it looks a lot like herbicide damage. On tomatoes, which are extremely sensitive to herbicides, it doesn't take but a minute amount to cause this.. Herbicides can be wind born for quite a distance so it could be very possible that a neighbor 7 houses down the street was spraying weed killer on his lawn and a tiny amount drifted onto your plant. The only other thing that I know of that does something similar is wind and dramatic temperature change. For some reason indeterminate varieties are more susceptible to this than determinates. Are both of your plants the same variety?

Last edited:

red birdie

Plant lover but still green
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 7
Country
United States
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/hot_topics/2008/05tomato_leaf_roll.html

This site may help. To me it looks a lot like herbicide damage. On tomatoes, which are extremely sensitive to herbicides, it doesn't take but a minute amount to cause this.. Herbicides can be wind born for quite a distance so it could be very possible that a neighbor 7 houses down the street was spraying weed killer on his lawn and a tiny amount drifted onto your plant. The only other thing that I know of that does something similar is wind and dramatic temperature change. For some reason indeterminate varieties are more susceptible to this than determinates. Are both of your plants the same variety?

That's something to consider. We live in a rural farm area close to fields of row crops, mainly corn and soybean. We've never had a problem in years past, but of course they spray their crops quite a bit.

Also, different varieties. The one unaffected is a Grape tomato and the curly one is a Ponderosa.

Ask a Question