Tomato leaves curling down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, 1-2 cups?

The instructions on the bag say 1 teaspoon per 1 foot of plant height.
When I plant my tomato transplants there is about 1 foot of plant above soil level. I use 2 handfuls or a little over a cup of ES. How tall and wide is your plant? About 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide? Believe me, if you follow those directions it will be a total waste of time. This ES that you have, is it just the normal ES you would get at the pharmacy or grocery store? AFAIK ES is just ES and there is no super fortified type. I do know that nurserys sell horticultural ES just for the markup in price but the ES is the same as any other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
P

Peace perfect peace

Hi escape and Chuck,
Ive not put a lot of feed back these last few days,(a bit of care need at home just now)
But what im going to do is have a good look up ref the amount of end rot your having and see if the three of us is missing something,
Talk to you tomorrow,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi escape and Chuck,
Ive not put a lot of feed back these last few days,(a bit of care need at home just now)
But what im going to do is have a good look up ref the amount of end rot your having and see if the three of us is missing something,
Talk to you tomorrow,
I've been dealing commercially and as a home gardener with BER for many decades and here in Texas ES is the only solution. I have tried different chemicals, some rather expensive and nothing else comes close to ES. I have done different watering techniques, different types of fertilizers, all kinds of soil amendments and it all boils down to ES. What I don't know is where it works. I know it works in East Texas, in South East Texas, in South Texas, in Central Texas and in North Texas and Texas is a very big place with all kinds of soil. I don't know which other states it works in. I try and try to convince people that it actually works and 90% of them are hesitant. I guess it is the name, ES, and the salt part scares them.

Last edited:
P

Peace perfect peace

Hi chuck,
Hope your well and i know you enjoy the gardening "like myself'
Here in france we have different soils as we did when we lived in the uk, some was very hard in the summer and contained clay, some plants just couldnt live in clay and some plants loved the clay soil such as Lavender, this plant and some other plants like poor soil and thrive in such soils, other plants demand a good balanced soil and if something is lacking in that poorer soil the plant will tell you by its lack of colour /growth, or production of its fruits
It may still grow but not in a good state,

This is were people go wrong, they want the best of gardening "now"
Is'nt life like this these days?
Thanks to the Inter net, we all have a tool to look at and find the answer we're looking for, But it takes effort and interest to use this inter/nett tool,
Long befor the inter/nett it was books or word of mouth we had to use,
The Inter nett brings along forums and places for the amature to pass on what he/she believes is the correct answer, right or wrong !!!!
But if used correctly the right site to find the answer is the one thats deals with the subject and is written by such people who are the expert in that subject and have a reputation to live up to , Im talking about the likes of the RHS , John Inners Lab,

Going back to the days of buying books on the subject you wanted to learn about, these books we're written by known experts and had to pass a strict read by other experts befor any of these subjects got to print and a good gardening book on subjects from a large range of subjects was'nt cheap,
So chuck ,
What im saying is if you know we're to look and your willing to study the subject "you'll" learn a lot more worth learning than taking the easy way out and wanting answers without effort,
Have a nice day Chuch and dont eat to many toms,;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yep, thats just plain ES but it sure is expensive. At the grocery store and Dollar Store it is $1 per pound.
Yup. My local Meijer has 4 lb bags for $3 (and so does Walmart), but I don't go there very often these days, given the current situation. Next time.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not sure if related, but since I applied Epsom salt nearly a month ago, it appears the plants stopped growing - no more new leaves, no fruit set. Pretty much nothing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not sure if related, but since I applied Epsom salt nearly a month ago, it appears the plants stopped growing - no more new leaves, no fruit set. Pretty much nothing.
Most if not all Romas are determinate tomatoes. Determinate tomatoes grow and set fruit for a determined amount of time. After that, they stop. Indeterminate tomatoes grow and produce fruit, depending on the nighttime low temperature, for an undetermined amount of time. For your Romas to stop growing is completely normal. In the right conditions, indeterminate tomatoes will produce until the first frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Most if not all Romas are determinate tomatoes.
I didn't make it clear - I've got two varieties - Roma as well as Superfantastic which is Indeterminate. Both stopped growing.

FYI, I also trimmed some branches/leaves at around the same time as I applied ES. Maybe that shocked the plants? But there are still plenty of leaves left.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't make it clear - I've got two varieties - Roma as well as Superfantastic which is Indeterminate. Both stopped growing.

FYI, I also trimmed some branches/leaves at around the same time as I applied ES. Maybe that shocked the plants? But there are still plenty of leaves left.
Pruning would not affect fruit set or growth. What determines fruit set is nighttime low temperatures and to a lesser degree afternoon high temperatures. What determines growth is nutrition and the amount of sunlight and length of sunlight.

Ask a Question