Tomato leaves curling all over plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I’ve had an issue primarily with my Cherokee purple tomatoes where the plants leaves have stayed curled for days now. The temps are not too bad so I thought they would uncurl - we’ve gotten some rain and I haven’t had to water. I’ve seen whitefly eggs and flies on plants so don’t know if they transferred a virus or not.

Attachments

• 42987CB1-7A28-4A9F-AD94-D6CC1810532B.jpeg
    42987CB1-7A28-4A9F-AD94-D6CC1810532B.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 49CE6274-EA4A-4BDD-A88D-F5D8B0DDA2F4.jpeg
    49CE6274-EA4A-4BDD-A88D-F5D8B0DDA2F4.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 69
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yeah, I was thinking that - although it seems like all leaves are affected. Hmm nothing I can do about that viral infection right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah, I was thinking that - although it seems like all leaves are affected. Hmm nothing I can do about that viral infection right?
Curly Top will affect the entire plant. And there is nothing that can be done if it is curly top. It might not be a virus. Why don't you spray the entire plant with 1 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide per gallon of water, give it a week and see if anything happens. Why do you have that white fabric there. Take it off too. I don't know if it affects anything or not but it is not natural for a plant for this to be there. I would also water with SuperThrive. All of this may or may not help but what have you got to lose?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Okay - I wasn't sure, I just thought it affected the top branches, but maybe I am wrong. The white fabric is breathable and allows water to flow through as well. I put that on their since I always seem to have a problem with blight, so I put that over the bed to prevent soil splashing onto the leaves. Would you recommend I do like a natural mulch instead also it's been so hot lately, that it's kept the soil moist, so it seems like it doesn't dry out as fast, maybe that's contributing to the problem, I'm not sure. I'll try the spray and see if that addresses it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay - I wasn't sure, I just thought it affected the top branches, but maybe I am wrong. The white fabric is breathable and allows water to flow through as well. I put that on their since I always seem to have a problem with blight, so I put that over the bed to prevent soil splashing onto the leaves. Would you recommend I do like a natural mulch instead also it's been so hot lately, that it's kept the soil moist, so it seems like it doesn't dry out as fast, maybe that's contributing to the problem, I'm not sure. I'll try the spray and see if that addresses it.
I would take it off and not do anything regarding mulch as I can see no SHORT term benefit. If the plant reacts to the peroxide then put the mulch down. When you water, do not water directly at the base of the plant. Water more out to the drip line but saturate the soil, all of the soil.

Ask a Question