Tomato flowers dropping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My tomato plants were very healthy. The foliage is very green and they all have many flowers. I shook to plant daily to ensure pollination.

Here's the problem: the flowers are dropping off by the stem of the flower. The stem turns a light green color and then just fall off. I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen.

It doesn't get higher than 90 F, but we do have high humidity being in Florida. I'm fertilizing with organic fertilizer. I haven't had to water from all the rain we have been getting lately.

What's going on?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My tomato plants were very healthy. The foliage is very green and they all have many flowers. I shook to plant daily to ensure pollination.

Here's the problem: the flowers are dropping off by the stem of the flower. The stem turns a light green color and then just fall off. I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen.

It doesn't get higher than 90 F, but we do have high humidity being in Florida. I'm fertilizing with organic fertilizer. I haven't had to water from all the rain we have been getting lately.

What's going on?
Tomatoes only set fruit reliably between 68F -74F NIGHTTIME low temperature for extended periods. It is still too hot at night for them to set fruit. Cherry varieties will set fruit at higher temps. It sounds as if you are doing everything right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
2 of my tomato plants already started fruiting! I just noticed it today. I was about to give up on the tomatoes and plant something else. I have a question, why are only 2 plants holding fruit? I have 12 tomato plants in the same area. The only difference it that I used fresh soil from home depot, and the other ones were from my backyard (which I also bought from home depot, but they got mixed in with sand.)

They are a few feet apart, will that few feet of sunlight really make a difference between fruiting and not? I fertilize and water them equally. They all have the same amount of flowers. The only difference is that the other plants drop the flowers before they can fruit. It's weird. Any explanation?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
2 of my tomato plants already started fruiting! I just noticed it today. I was about to give up on the tomatoes and plant something else. I have a question, why are only 2 plants holding fruit? I have 12 tomato plants in the same area. The only difference it that I used fresh soil from home depot, and the other ones were from my backyard (which I also bought from home depot, but they got mixed in with sand.)

They are a few feet apart, will that few feet of sunlight really make a difference between fruiting and not? I fertilize and water them equally. They all have the same amount of flowers. The only difference is that the other plants drop the flowers before they can fruit. It's weird. Any explanation?
Are they the same variety? If any tomato doesn't receive enough sunlight they will drop blooms. Mainly though some varieties will set fruit in slightly warmer or cooler temps. Don't give up on them. Your climate allows for this. You still have at least 2 1/2 months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Yes. They are the same variety. I actually bought these cherry tomatoes from a grocery store. They were grown in Texas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Here is the package

8E098455-9C00-45AF-9F64-636184F1C13C_zpspet2fiva.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here is the package

8E098455-9C00-45AF-9F64-636184F1C13C_zpspet2fiva.jpg
Those are a hybrid miniature of San Marzanos, a paste/sauce tomato. They are NOT cherrys. Not to fear though. You still have plenty of time. Make sure you add epsom salts, about 1/2 cup per plant around the root zone. San Marzanos are notorious for blossom end rot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Don't worry. If you have 12 people are they all exactly the same? The others will start to fruit soon. Have patience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I will apply epsom salt now. How will epsom salt help? I'm not doubting you. I'm just want to learn more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ok. It's applied. I already read about how it helps plants. :)

Will this treat the flowerings dropping off, or the fruit rotting on the bottom, or both?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok. It's applied. I already read about how it helps plants. :)

Will this treat the flowerings dropping off, or the fruit rotting on the bottom, or both?
It will NOT stop the dropping flowers. It will stop the rotting on the bottom. The dropping flowers is a temperature thing.

Ask a Question