Tomato doing weird thing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Piedmont
Country
United States
So I don't have a pic because I forgot to take one but a couple days ago a couple of my tomato plants had these root looking growth about 2 inches up the main stalk from the ground . They were pinkish purple, about an 1/2 inch long and we're growing parallel to the stock towards the ground. They were thick maybe the width of a phone charger cord.

So I had some miracle grow garden soil I bought when it was on sale and mounded it around all my tomato plants about 3" up and out from the stall about a foot. Then watered . Of course then it rained.

Does this mean my tomato roots died?? I did prune the bottom leaves off several of my plants a few days earlier because they were close to the ground, some were touching the ground. Did that trigger this root thing to grow? They seem healthy. Are now flowering. I got a few tomatoes already on my yellow Cherry's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Without a picture it is hard to say but what it sounds like is that roots are forming above the ground. This is not unusual and covering them with soil is OK. Tomatoes are (I think) the only vegetable that does this and it is routine to plant a tomato up to its seed leaves and even higher on the trunk of the plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Without a picture it is hard to say but what it sounds like is that roots are forming above the ground. This is not unusual and covering them with soil is OK. Tomatoes are (I think) the only vegetable that does this and it is routine to plant a tomato up to its seed leaves and even higher on the trunk of the plant.
Cucumbers do this.
I have previously tied a plant pot to the stem, so it can feed from these roots as well as breathe.

Ask a Question