Tomatillos not producing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I purchased a pot of two tomatillo plants from Lowes and planted them. I've never grown them before, and I was happy to try these. The plants are fine, but because there is no bee activity, the plants aren't producing. I'm guessing I should hand-pollinate? If so, how?

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_170533.jpg
    IMG_20190522_170533.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 164
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I purchased a pot of two tomatillo plants from Lowes and planted them. I've never grown them before, and I was happy to try these. The plants are fine, but because there is no bee activity, the plants aren't producing. I'm guessing I should hand-pollinate? If so, how?
Tomatillos are a little different than tomatoes and you need two plants blooming at the same time. Bees are only a minor pollinator. There are many many other insects out there who do a better job. Remember that honey bees are not native to the US. Tomatillos also like it hotter than tomatoes. When I grow them they don't start to produce until tomatoes are starting to ripen so be patient and keep them watered and fed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, I have two plants, and both are blooming. As for honeybees, we have hives nearby... allow me to show you this..... we do have bees, they're just not interested in my garden. Perhaps I should plant more flowers. Honey bees are not native to the U.S??? I never knew that!! Where are they from then, and who brought them?

Attachments

• IMG_20181117_154111.jpg
    IMG_20181117_154111.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 152
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, I have two plants, and both are blooming. As for honeybees, we have hives nearby... allow me to show you this..... we do have bees, they're just not interested in my garden. Perhaps I should plant more flowers. Honey bees are not native to the U.S??? I never knew that!! Where are they from then, and who brought them?
Just wait until it warms up more. The blooms aren't producing pollen yet. Don't worry, bees will show up when the flowers are ready. As for honey bees they are from Europe and I presume settlers brought them over on a ship. That's why their real name is European Honey Bee.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wow, that's interesting! Don't worry, I will be patient, I've just never grown tomatillos before ;) So tell please, are they sweet or tart?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, that's interesting! Don't worry, I will be patient, I've just never grown tomatillos before ;) So tell please, are they sweet or tart?
It's hard to describe but they are not like any tomato. Have you been to a Mexican restaurant and had Salsa Verde? That's tomatillos. I wouldn't call them sweet, probably more of a tart flavor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No, never been to a Mexican restaurant. Just about the only two places I eat out at is Whataburger, and Subway sometimes. I eat put-together-at-home tacos. But I have heard of salsa verde. So tomatillos would be a great addition to my tacos then! Awesome! Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Mine are just starting to fruit, I have two plants about 2' apart. I thought I would need to hand pollinate with a small paintbrush but no need. I think the ants did the job...they're everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I finally got a picture of my little 'tillo...he's camera-shy. The only fruit is very low down on the plants almost at ground level, nothing higher up. Check yours lower down.

What I do for pollination is to move some of my spent lettuce plants that are going to seed I yank them out and just put the flower head near the plant to attract bees. Use whatever flowers you have that can bee relocated. The manual method is to you use a small paintbrush to dab some pollen out of one flower of plant A and then touch a flower from plant B and then the next flower on plant A and just go back and forth like that.

This is my first year growing tomatillos, I'm really psyched about their progress. They look like little lanterns, hard to spot.
1559412290055-1713592187.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've been growing them for years. Some years I get a decent crop, and other years not-so-much. However, every year the plants look awesome with tons of blooms and 'lanterns'. The bad years, are when the inner 'fruit' stays the size of a small marble and doesn't continue to grow. Been looking for answers on why they do that. still haven't found any reason. One of my FAVORITE salsas is Chile de Arbor. A lot of Mexican restaurants have this salsa, but it's not on the menu. the base is Tomatillos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been growing them for years. Some years I get a decent crop, and other years not-so-much. However, every year the plants look awesome with tons of blooms and 'lanterns'. The bad years, are when the inner 'fruit' stays the size of a small marble and doesn't continue to grow. Been looking for answers on why they do that. still haven't found any reason. One of my FAVORITE salsas is Chile de Arbor. A lot of Mexican restaurants have this salsa, but it's not on the menu. the base is Tomatillos.
The reason why in some years you have poor fruit size is because of poor or insufficient pollination.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I tried Yellow Tomatillos this year, and they are doing great! We ate the first one this week, it tasted like nothing I have eaten before! Kind of textured like a cross between an apple and a tomato with a somewhat sweet/tart flavor. AWESOME !!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The reason why in some years you have poor fruit size is because of poor or insufficient pollination.
I also think pollination is the problem. I lost one of my two plants due to over watering. The Survivor is filled with mini pods but they're not gaining size. Also, I'm a bit afraid to water it after I drown to the first one. Hopefully time will solve it, but I planted 10 or 15 Replacement 'tillos just in case. They're not even flowering yet, so we'll see how things go.

Ask a Question