todays harvest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Depending how much chilli you like -
I roast tomato’s ,red onions , elephant garlic (if I had any left :-( ) peppers and chillis hot oven for 15mins or so remove seeds and skin blitz in a food blender add to a large pan add veggie or beef stock - tomato purée to thicken slightly salt and pepper to taste
Great with linguine

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thank you, i will look at the videos to see what to do with these various peppers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was a day late picking okra, so I think I am going to get out the slow cooker and attempt to make a clear okra reduction to be frozen and used as a soup, stew and roux base from the big ones and Becky has decided to pickle okra with the smaller ones
IMG_20180807_195955.jpg
since we now have gallons of fresh okra hogging space in the refridgeration.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was a day late picking okra, so I think I am going to get out the slow cooker and attempt to make a clear okra reduction to be frozen and used as a soup, stew and roux base from the big ones and Becky has decided to pickle okra with the smaller ones View attachment 42484 since we now have gallons of fresh okra hogging space in the refridgeration.
Roux base sounds intersting so instead of milk or stock just the liquor from okra ?
Love it sounds ace so your reduction consist of ? Ashamed to say as a chef never cooked or eaten okra but after looking think it would be great as gazpacho!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Roux base sounds intersting so instead of milk or stock just the liquor from okra ?
Love it sounds ace so your reduction consist of ? Ashamed to say as a chef never cooked or eaten okra but after looking think it would be great as gazpacho!

I have never tried this but it seems reasonable. Of course so many of my ideas end up on the compost pile.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It sounds feasible only thing that I can think of is that it could split the roux as high percentage of water let me/us know how it goes ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Good idea! Wonder how long the dried chillies keep. Often see them sold.
Appears they keep forever.
1 November 2017 Hot Chili Peppers
Posted on November 1, 2017 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2017/November 2017/1 November 2017 Hot Chili Peppers/HTML/1 November 2017 Hot Chili Peppers
Hot Chili Peppers from eight plants have been collected as they ripened and stored in the greenhouse to dry. Sun was scarce this summer so the dehydrator was employed, set at 100F until dry about 12 hours. The dried almost crisp peppers will be put through a blender and stored in a jar. They never appear to lose heat.
hot%20chili%20peppers%20013_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It sounds feasible only thing that I can think of is that it could split the roux as high percentage of water let me/us know how it goes ?
I will. I thought I would just use water only and a lot of patience this first go. Do you think a slow cooker would be convenient or cause a problem somehow? It will be a fair sized batch maybe 6 quarts to reduce.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will. I thought I would just use water only and a lot of patience this first go. Do you think a slow cooker would be convenient or cause a problem somehow? It will be a fair sized batch maybe 6 quarts to reduce.
Think a slow cooker won’t be hot enough need a vigorous boil to reduce what ever liquor you have you want to reduce it by 70% then I would freeze it down in ice cube trays so you can add a couple to what ever your cooking :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Think a slow cooker won’t be hot enough need a vigorous boil to reduce what ever liquor you have you want to reduce it by 70% then I would freeze it down in ice cube trays so you can add a couple to what ever your cooking :)
Thank You. That makes it a weekend project because if it takes too long I will shut it off and start again the next day. I cannot sleep with a stove eye heating.

Ask a Question