Today's garden task?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's been a crazy winter with temperatures up and down... as a result of the pandemic pause on regular life I have had the chance to get back to gardening and have quite a lot of edibles going. Woke up today to rain and chilly temperature (it's currently 45 F in 9b in southeast Louisiana) as the sun was coming up and now I am making tp tube seedling pots. What garden task(s) are you up to?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Preparing for the hardest freeze since 1989. It is supposed to get down to 7F Sunday and Monday and not get above freezing until Wed. I doubt if anything will survive although covered in NSulate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We are not forecasted to get above freezing until Friday. It was 10f here last night. Sure hope the deer are managing. We have 2 feral cats here and I worry about them, too.
My onions inside the green house are frozen solid. Maybe they will come back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is our current outlook...
1613222627921.png

I'll be spending today and tomorrow prepping two gardens. Some things will only need frost cover. The trick will be providing heat to stuff that's more tender.

We have 2 feral cats here and I worry about them, too.

I have care of an entire sanctuary of feral cats. :rolleyes: I acquired a Victorian playhouse for them through a barter trade group that I covered with plastic the last time it got really cold; trying to figure out now how to rig a curtain over the opening so they can easily go in and out, etc. They take their meals in the greenhouse, and I think I have figured out a way to safely leave a jar candle under a terra cotta pot for a few plants in there... good luck with your onions!

Preparing for the hardest freeze since 1989.

Yikes!

First real snow in several years. Got my fingers dirty repotting houseplants or monitoring cuttings and starts.

Trying to sort out what to do with the fig cuttings I stuck this past week...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Trying to sort out what to do with the fig cuttings I stuck this past week...
have been using a gallon plastic bag with potting soil closed up with cuttings inside. Works well for starts. I mist and oxygenate occasionally but mainly forget about it for a few months. Then magically I have plants to pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
have been using a gallon plastic bag with potting soil closed up with cuttings inside. Works well for starts. I mist and oxygenate occasionally but mainly forget about it for a few months. Then magically I have plants to pot.

They root fine in water or just stuck in soil outdoors without all that. The issue for me was we were expecting a freeze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I finally got out and removed 8" of snow off the greenhouse . It is a plastic covering and all I needed to do was go inside and break it loose. surprisingly, it was 40 degrees inside there. Today is the first warm up day. I don't expect much out of the day. Maybe, by Friday:cautious: ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I finally got out and removed 8" of snow off the greenhouse . It is a plastic covering and all I needed to do was go inside and break it loose. surprisingly, it was 40 degrees inside there. Today is the first warm up day. I don't expect much out of the day. Maybe, by Friday:cautious: ..

The sun is back for us so I've taken the covers off and opened my makeshift greenhouses. I wore myself out trying to protect things but it seems to have been worth it. I used candle heaters to keep some things warm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This morning I am making the next raised box bed. 4' x 8' and 18" deep. I bought all the supplies to build it, including top soil, at one time. $250 for a raised box bed. I guess it doesn't matter. What am I going to do with the money anyway? It's a hobby ! Just hope the wife doesn't notice.:rolleyes::sneaky:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Tried to get a jump on Spring so planted early, but lost every plant, even my broccoli is struggling
Now have Sugar Baby Melon seedlings, Cucumber seedlings and about to start my Tomatoes
Hopefully we are over winter now so i Stand a chance
Weather here in South Louisiana is by far better than we got back in England tho

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hopefully we are over winter now so i Stand a chance
Weather here in South Louisiana is by far better than we got back in England tho

Well, Margaret says you can still have a freeze as late as April so I would have a just-in-case plan if I were you. Are you new to the area? Dan Gill just put put a column of what to plant now: Plant fruits and veggies from corn to watermelon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm making biochar today. I've already made one batch and now having it soaking in a large bucket in order to "charge" it.

A little video on the way I "charge" biochar; most people buy some type of fertilizer, but I have plenty of natural fertilizer.

Last edited:

Ask a Question