To Sick to Keep Around?

Reaction score
At what point should you make the call and have a sickly tree removed from your yard. I'm a sentimental type of guy, and would rather hope for the best than to make the difficult decision to uproot my yard. The thing is I fear a plant fungus that may spread. What do you all think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
At what point should you make the call and have a sickly tree removed from your yard. I'm a sentimental type of guy, and would rather hope for the best than to make the difficult decision to uproot my yard. The thing is I fear a plant fungus that may spread. What do you all think?
Depends on the tree and what it is infected with. If it is a long lived tree like a cypress or oak or something equal then I would be a little more inclined to try to save it than if it were a Chinese Popular or Arizona Ash. It would also depend on what the tree is infected with. Has an arborist looked at it and determined what is wrong with it?

Reaction score
I agree with Chuck. You should find out exactly what is wrong with the tree and how courageous it is before you make the call about tearing it out of the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Never give up! I fight for every tree in my area. They're beautiful and each one of them is very important to me. I'm sentimental too:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Oh tree's. I totally understand where you are coming from. I am so hard pressed to ever cut s tree down for any reason. I had one of the pine trees get hit by lightning and tried so hard to make it okay, but it wasn't. I knew that thing might fall on my house so I agreed to let them cut it down. I was so upset, all I could think about were the birds that would nest there. My son, bless his heart, went up on a ladder and moved the nest. I thought it the sweetest gesture.

If the tree is infested and beyond help it needs to come out. Cut the loss take it down and plant a ne one. remember to treat the soil if it is a fungal problem. It is painful I know, but you will have a new stronger tree instead.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
As has been mentioned its often a difficult decision to make, especially when you've grown accustomed to seeing the tree virtually every day. I was in a similiar situation to you several years back when our beloved old tree's roots were starting to spread beneath the house. Obviously this was something that we took very serious and we couldn't risk it getting any worse so we had to nip it in the bud straight away. That being said, it did take a lot of thought. I wish you the best of luck and hope things work out for the best no matter what conclusion you arrive at!

Ask a Question