To my surprise plums appeared ...

Reaction score
So I am famous for finding clearance items for anything- yes even including my lawn. About two years ago I found a tree on clearance at the end of the season at walmart. It was one of the last they had so it was just on a pallet with a bunch of others. It didn't have a tag explaining what it was and I liked the leaves so I bought it, took it home and planted it and didn't think much else of it. Well low and behold last year I was mowing my grass and when passing the little clearance tree I noticed to my surprise it was producing plums!! I was soo excited! It only produced about 4 because the tree is still a baby..but it was exciting none the less! I plan on purchasing more fruit trees because of it!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Or am I just the crazy one that buys plants and sometimes doesn't know what they are? :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What a great surprise! How lucky it isn't the kind that needs another tree to produce! You'll have to start feeding the tree so it can produce more plums! My blueberry bush is small, but it produced 20 times more flowers this year than last year as a result of feeding, and it's in a flower pot! The first year I was just hoping to keep it alive; then I got 5 berries. This year it was fairly full and then a heavy storm knocked some of the baby berries off (sniff, sniff).

Reaction score
I am just learning about gardening. So by feed it you mean with miracle grow or something to that effect? Also, there are some trees that don't produce without more trees near? Im so excited I can't wait to see what it produces this season!

I would love to have a blueberry bush- might have to look into getting one!

Reaction score
Lucky you! :) I love plums. I wish I could have trees here..lol but I am always wishing. Did you say that your plum tree produced in one year? That would be a great tree to grow.. maybe I should consider bonsai plums. Thanks for the idea. I am going to explore this further.

Reaction score
Yes to my surprise I planted it and the very next season..it had plums! Not many..but it had about 4 or 5 as the tree is still a baby. They were so juicy and delicious! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am just learning about gardening. So by feed it you mean with miracle grow or something to that effect? Also, there are some trees that don't produce without more trees near? Im so excited I can't wait to see what it produces this season!

I would love to have a blueberry bush- might have to look into getting one!

Yes, miracle grow is one way, though you can use compost, banana peels, seaweed, fish emulsion, bone meal, maybe even coffee - though you might want to try and find out what kind of plum tree you have and what specific needs it has. Not all plants have the same feeding requirements.

Reaction score
Interesting...I have no clue what kind of plum tree it is :(. But here is a pic of the very first plum I picked off of it :)

179585_10150919108707444_1255877231_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You're quite welcome! Growing stuff is so exciting, but growing stuff you can eat is even more so, and there's the added pay off of a supply of food! My mom has a couple of plum trees - two different ones because she didn't think the first would produce fruit without the presence of the second. You're lucky to have the kind that doesn't need another tree nearby.

Reaction score
You're quite welcome! Growing stuff is so exciting, but growing stuff you can eat is even more so, and there's the added pay off of a supply of food! My mom has a couple of plum trees - two different ones because she didn't think the first would produce fruit without the presence of the second. You're lucky to have the kind that doesn't need another tree nearby.

Im learning so much!!...so in other words...some trees get lonely and need another near it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Im learning so much!!...so in other words...some trees get lonely and need another near it?

I'm not an expert in this area by any means, but it has something to do with pollination. Think of it as a male to female sort of thing :)
My mom has had success with citrus in containers, and a friend gave me a very young Meyer lemon last year, so I know it can be done. I am learning as I go. Lots of good info on Pinterest.

Reaction score
I'm not an expert in this area by any means, but it has something to do with pollination. Think of it as a male to female sort of thing :)
My mom has had success with citrus in containers, and a friend gave me a very young Meyer lemon last year, so I know it can be done. I am learning as I go. Lots of good info on Pinterest.

I definitely need to get better acquainted with Pinterest...sad to say I do not use it as of yet :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Pinterest is dangerous, lol! It sucks you in and then you can't get away from it! And to make matters worse, they send you email of MORE stuff you might want to pin, lol. The Internet is our new drug! Here's a link to my garden ideas board:
http://pinterest.com/cdgautreaux/great-garden-ideas-and-tips/

ooo thanks for sharing! So the jist of Pinterest is to make boards and pin things to them? Not that this is a forum on that...but Im a little curious. I

Ask a Question