To much or to little?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why are lower leaves on tomatoes plants turning yellow. If I water less the so. Ca. Heat kills them.
Probably early blight. Does the yellowing start at the bottom and slowly works its way up the plant? If so it has nothing to do with the amount of water. It is a soil fungus that is spread by water splashing soil on the leaves and by leaves touching the soil. You can really slow it down by sprinkling whole ground cornmeal all around the plant before the yellowing begins.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why are lower leaves on tomatoes plants turning yellow. If I water less the so. Ca. Heat kills them.
Probably early blight. Does the yellowing start at the bottom and slowly works its way up the plant? If so it has nothing to do with the amount of water. It is a soil fungus that is spread by water splashing soil on the leaves and by leaves touching the soil. You can really slow it down by sprinkling whole ground cornmeal all around the plant before the yellowing begins.
Thanks
The bottom leaves were pruned shortly after planting. Very careful when watering and plant is about 3'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If blooms dry and fall off it is because the nighttime LOW temperatures are not correct. I too have early blight problems but I remove ALL of the limbs, not the suckers, from the plant up to about 1 foot. I can just about guarantee you that early blight is causing the yellowing and the reason for bloom drop is either too warm or too cool for fruit setting. Early blight usually does not affect fruit set. The OPTIMUM temperature for tomato fruit set is about 64F - to about 70F NIGHT TIME LOW TEMPERATURES. Anything above or below these temps will cause blossom drop, except for cherry type tomatoes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like You are on to something Chuck. Thanks for the advice. The nights are getting warmer now so that should help. Can I remove yellow limbs?

Ask a Question