Tireless Badger digs for five days and five nights...

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@zigs!! Yoo-hoo!! :hilarious: :joyful:

It turns out that badgers are a bit more industrious than they thought...

University of Utah researchers placed seven cow carcasses in Utah's Great Basin Desert, and set up cameras to learn about the behavior patterns of local scavengers. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...deo-badger-burying-a-cow-surprises-scientists

Previously, the largest animal a badger had been known to bury was a rabbit. :eek:

Aww, isn't he cute??

badger_custom-5a4697f3db50556f10f5a8c3aa8b3d74c879ae37-s1500-c85.jpeg

The article is worth the read, but the video is what really makes it. (y)
(The music they set it to is perfect... Yakety Sax! :ROFLMAO: )

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one :D

Hope he remembers where he left it:eek::D

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for adding this MaryMary. Poor badger; our two badgers receive better food from Bron each night. (y)

I can loan you our squirrels Lori these are great at digging especially whilst burying nuts 6" deep; I have trouble putting in plants to 6" deep. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Badger..JPG

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for asking MaryMary. Bron puts cat biscuits out on a wooden base I made years ago this sits on top of an old chimney pot; lots of birds eat these biscuits and our blackbirds love them; Bron also puts out lots of peanuts for the birds in both a bird feeder and also in a pile on the low garden retaining wall; one night our security lights were triggered and we were amazed to find a big badger tucking into the peanuts so Bron now always ensures peanuts are available and we've seen the badgers many times also I managed a few years ago to take a picture of a pair of fox cubs eating the cat biscuits; we have lots of birds and wildlife visiting us no doubt because we have a garden full of mature trees and bushes. We enjoy watching the squirrels even if they do turn the garden into a 200 hole golf course. :)

Sorry for poor picture quality but many of our little friends are camera shy. The cats are two neighbour one ours; ours is our late Furball picture middle. The biscuits are brought indoors overnight but all the peanuts usually disappear during the night.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00177.JPG
Furball Max Harvey.jpg
IMG_5425.jpg
IMG_6311.JPG
IMG_6358.JPG
Jay.JPG

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Colin, what a beautiful picture you got of that fox!! :) (y) I love them, and I only get to see them once in about every three years. Wrong place, wrong time, I guess.

What is the little bird with the brilliant blue on the wing?

:unsure: I think you (and Bron!) would enjoy the "Animals in your garden" thread. :) It's at the top in the General Gardening Talk forum. ...And maybe you could post your fox picture there, as well...? :whistle:

(This thread will fall to the wayside with the passage of time, but that one is a sticky!!)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks MaryMary. (y):) Bron and I haven't seen fox's for a while the last time I saw one it was crossing the top of our garden in daylight. The birds are indeed beautiful and they are Jay's; this is a picture of just one of them but last year we had four visiting us; they come every year.

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/jay.htm

Thanks also for the tip about "Animals in your garden" I'll have a look when I have a bit of spare time; it's difficult juggling time now I'm retired. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks also for the tip about "Animals in your garden" I'll have a look when I have a bit of spare time; it's difficult juggling time now I'm retired. :(

Well, at 22 pages, that one will take a minute or ten!! :LOL:

There are some stunningly beautiful pictures in it. :love: (y)

Ask a Question