Tire Planters

Reaction score
Last year, I got a bunch of old tires and made a little fence around one side of my garden and planted pumpkins in them, I have never seen pumpkins grow as well as these did. I think it was the heat from the tires that helped a lot. I have researched tire planters and have come across some really amazing things that people have done with them. Painting them and cutting them to look like flowers and such. Does anyone use tires as planters? What kind of paint do you use so that it will stay on the tire and is safe for the plant? Any pictures would be great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I've never really liked the idea of using tires as planers, but I know that some people make amazing things from them.
For example, I wouldn't guess that these are old tires:

June-7jt-2012-046.jpg

As for paints, I think that they're all safe, because you use them only on the outside of the planter.

Reaction score
Using old tires in the garden is not really my thing as I'm not particularly keen on the look and although not for me -
I have seen many very interesting and quite amazing ideas for making use of old tires in and around the garden and although mostly planters similar to those in Claudine's picture above - there are also some very imaginative ways in which to turn old tires into pieces of garden art like these

A Palm Tree

Tires - Palm Tree.gif

A Chicken Planter

Tires - Chicken planter.jpg

A Horse and Cart

Tires - Horse and cart.jpg

As for paint - from what I understand - most people just use ordinary spray paint.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've seen many bird-shaped planters made from old tires. Here are a few examples:

birdcollage.jpg

They are very colorful, aren't they? But, to be honest, I find them tacky:confused:

This, on the other hand, looks kind of nice:

tumblr_lr963wXbo01qh9jr9o1_500.jpg

Reaction score
This is certainly a good use for old tires. The planters above are very cleverly concealed as tires. Out neighbor used them as raised beds. He just lay them on the ground, filled them with dirt and planted his vegetables. He wasn't much of a gardener, however, and managed to grow more weeds than produce. I would say that this is a better way of dealing with the tires than dumping them in a huge pile. As you can stack a few of them, you could probably grow something needing deeper soil as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those are very creative ideas. I would not just throw plants into a tire and call it good, but if I could use a tire as a decoration of some sort I would.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I wouldn't put any tire planters in my garden, but I think that some of them look rather nice. Recycling is a great way to help the environment and save some money.

These are cute:

upcycled_tire_planters.jpg

Reaction score
09ee49b1e44e257d4b6d3ca0b280e813.jpg

love using big tractor tires for planters! They make for a great show and conversation piece and not to mention have room to be a little seating area on the edge for great picture taking!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like this shade of blue!
Using tractor tires as planters sounds like a really good idea, because they're giant:) But it must be hard to find them. I live in a big city, so I don't remember the last time when I saw a real tractor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These are all very clever and pretty old tire planters! It is nice to see how people coming up with such creative ideas to use as planters. I like those colorful chicken planters, and I can't tell they are from old tires!

Ask a Question