Tips to reduce plastic greenhouse ‘flap’

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello, newbie here to both forum and gardening.

Bit of background, for context and what has already been considered.

I live in an apartment complex and have had mixed success with my balcony plants. They only get an hour or so of direct light, the rest is reflected/ambient.

Despite that, some plants thrived and I was happy - until a single winter storm murdered half of them. I’m talking high winds (brisk to strong is normal, this was close to gale force) and heavy, painfully stinging rain. I often fear over or under watering those that are left as I cannot tell the difference when they start showing stress.

So I bought a greenhouse. Just a small cheap thing, 2m by 1.5m. Made of plastic.

I wanted two things from it. Wind protection without sacrificing what little sun I get, and rain protection so I can water them more confidently. So far, I am cautiously optimistic of the results.

But a wall/roof of the gh ‘ripple’ in strong wind. I’ve secured it from being blown away but I don’t want to be an inconsiderate neighbour and bother people with that irregular sound.

Any tips?

Google has said that I should make it as ‘sealed as possible’ as air getting in and pushing up is the biggest danger & cause. The floor of my balcony is wood, with narrow gaps and under-wood draining. It is definitely a source of air slipping in and out which I originally thought might be a good thing as the gh has no vents. Also, draining for watering.

The gh itself is protected from wind on two sides with just a half meter of the roof and one side exposed to passing wind.

All I can think of are maybe tape strips on the plastic...? Either to stiffen it or to try and make it more taut. I could get some fake grass to put under it? It would muffle airflow - for better and worse - but might also be bad for drainage and disease.

Suggestions welcome.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have used clear packing tape to reinforce the walls on mine. Works well.

Thank you! What would you recommend in terms of amount or pattern? One line, cross hatched, other? Do you secure it around a poll to tighten, or just apply it in strips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I wrapped mine in horizontal strips all the way around to the door zipper. 3 strips. Ours is on our deck, 14 feet off the ground so subject to wind. 1st greenhouse we put out got ripped to shreds by wind.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks again, the tape definitely helped with ‘normal breeze’ flap. I mostly used it inside, to tighten the plastic and bind it to the support poles. Fingers crossed for the next squall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
As a test, temporarily lay lumber or other solid material over the floor gaps which will act as a Labyrinth seal. If this reduces air infiltration from below we will have a better handle on what will actually solve the air problem.

Ask a Question