Tips for Transplanting Mint

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My aunt just pulled up a handful of her mint (with roots) and stuck it in a pot and gave it to me. It's pretty thick stemmed with big roots. I know mint can be grown from cuttings...should I do that or just plant the mint she gave me?

Also...pot or bed? If I plant it in a bed how do I keep it from spreading?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you plant it in the ground it may spread...but it's not that big a deal since you can just keep mowing it and it will incorporate with the grass. I have both "regular" mint and catnip in my yard along a fence and the whatever shoots up in the grass gets mowed down regularly, no big deal.

Reaction score
My aunt just pulled up a handful of her mint (with roots) and stuck it in a pot and gave it to me. It's pretty thick stemmed with big roots. I know mint can be grown from cuttings...should I do that or just plant the mint she gave me?

Also...pot or bed? If I plant it in a bed how do I keep it from spreading?

Plant those rooted cuttings as soon as you can, if I were you I'd first trying growing mint in pots, becuase they do tend to spread really fast and can end up invading the whole patch if you let them. As for cuttings with no roots... well, I have heard it can actually be done, but it sounds like it's a lot work for me (specially if you consider you get a 100% success rate when you plant the cuttings with roots) so don't think much about it. Just plant those rooted cuttings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Plant those rooted cuttings as soon as you can, if I were you I'd first trying growing mint in pots, becuase they do tend to spread really fast and can end up invading the whole patch if you let them. As for cuttings with no roots... well, I have heard it can actually be done, but it sounds like it's a lot work for me (specially if you consider you get a 100% success rate when you plant the cuttings with roots) so don't think much about it. Just plant those rooted cuttings.

They're in a rather tiny pot right now. Like I said, they're thick stemmed with big roots. Is there any recommended size for it to be re-potted in? I've only see small mint plants in pots before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our mint is planted in a planter box. When it was spreading inconveniently, my husband pulled out the mint and replanted a small portion in a plastic pot. But in the weeks to come, some mint sprouts were seen in that planter box. So I guess mint is so easy to propagate as long as there is a stem you can stick to the ground and it will develop roots.

Ask a Question