Tips for growing roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We moved house a couple of months ago and now have a garden with a variety of roses. Some are trained into arches, some are climbing, and some are standard roses. It's all beautiful, but as this is our first garden I can't help feeling a little out of my depth!

I was just wondering whether anyone here has any tips for looking after roses in general? For example, when to prune, what to feed, how to keep pests away etc.

Obviously it would be handy for me, but it would also be great to collate some advice here for other members too!

Reaction score
I only have the knock out roses, but I have about a dozen of them. I only trim mine once a year and that is in late February and I cut them down to where there is only about 8-12" tall. I do not feed mine at all, never have and they have done great, and I (knock on wood) I have never had any pests attack them outside of a few leaves being eaten.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Snails seem to love ours - I can't understand how they get to the leaves given that the stems are so prickly! I've heard about sticky bands that you can put around the base to stop snails, anyone here had any experience with them?

Reaction score
Snails seem to love ours - I can't understand how they get to the leaves given that the stems are so prickly! I've heard about sticky bands that you can put around the base to stop snails, anyone here had any experience with them?
Crush some egg shells and scatter them around . Or you could try sprinkling some salt or ashes , but not too much . You might kill the trees .

Reaction score
Yes you can use crushed egg shells around the plants, as egg shells add valuable nutrients to soil. Do not use salt as this will spoil the soil and the plant growth. You can use sand around the plant. Because snails cannot cross the sand as it will rip their belly and they will die.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The idea of putting sand down to stop the snails is new to me but I do like it that idea and will put it to use. I never thought about snails eating my rose bush, something is, I will put down some sand at the base of the plant and hope that will help. I can't find any other pest on the plant but the leaves are being destroyed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know this is an older thread, but I was curious what you all have done to keep your roses alive during the winter. I live in Rexburg, Idaho where it snows 9 months out of the year and have tried different methods. I found a great way to keep the roses warm during the winter and I'll post a video what I did last year. Great to hear from everyone.

http://www.growitnowgarden.com/how-to-protect-your-rose-bushes-during-the-winter/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Florida 9b
Country
United States
Yes you can use crushed egg shells around the plants, as egg shells add valuable nutrients to soil. Do not use salt as this will spoil the soil and the plant growth. You can use sand around the plant. Because snails cannot cross the sand as it will rip their belly and they will die.
Lol. Snails thrive in my gardens and here in Florida there is lots of sand, diatomaceous earth, feed grade, can be bought at your local feed store and sprinkled onto the ground and plants, it is organic and does not harm you or plants and cuts bugs exoskeleton. Snails included.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Lol. Snails thrive in my gardens and here in Florida there is lots of sand, diatomaceous earth, feed grade, can be bought at your local feed store and sprinkled onto the ground and plants, it is organic and does not harm you or plants and cuts bugs exoskeleton. Snails included.
I know this is an old thread, but i live in the UK and snails don't eat roses over here. Aphids are a problem,black spot and mildew. I've got a lot of hybrid tea roses. Or sometimes they're called bush roses.

Ask a Question