Tips for growing mulberries?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I started a lot of mulberry cuttings and they are doing great and are starting to form roots. Are there any tips I should know before I put them in soil?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
What type of mulberry? I think there are almost 20 different varieties with differing characteristics.

I have a Pakistani mulberry.

Some things to be aware of:
1) mulberry has aggressive, fast-growing roots... so plant your trees away from your foundation, driveway, or garage, and utility, septic, or sewage lines
2) mulberry leaves and unripe fruit contain a latex that is mildly toxic to humans and
3) they can be super messy when dropping fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It is a red mulberry tree. When I checked on them this morning there was mold in the tops of all the stems. I washed them off and put five drops of alcohol in a clean container with lots of water and washed them off in there as well. Then, I washed them of again with water. I then dried them off with a paper towel. Will they be okay?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
All depends on how concentrated the alcohol was on the plants. Alcohol that is too concentrated can soak into the soil and render it unsuitable for growing anything. Ethanol has been found to stunt plant growth. Isopropyl alcohol is an effective indiscriminate herbicide.

Maybe they will be ok, maybe not. Time will tell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It was five drops of 91% alcohol in a mason jar sized container filled with water. I didn't have them in soil but in water so I could wash off the mold from the tips of their stems. They weren't in soil before either but in water. I had forgot to clean out one of the containers that was above them so Dirt + High Humidity + Dark=Mold

Ask a Question