Tip to control spiders in the house

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen alot of spiders in the house lately. While surfing I saw this neat idea and decided to share.

59475e848886fd9ce7af741a4d1472ba.jpg

Place Osage Oranges (aka horse-apple or hedge-apple) under beds and in pantry to repel spiders and insects. Scientific studies have found that extracts of Osage orange repel several insect species, in some studies just as well as the widely-used synthetic insecticide DEET.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is interesting! Unfortunately, I don't have any osage oranges and I don't know where could I buy them. I've never seen a fruit like this before. It's a fruit, isn't it?;)
Do regular oranges repel spiders as well?

Reaction score
As I too am not very keen in having spiders in the house - you can probably imagine how delighted I was at your mention of how to control the number of spiders in the house.

However I'm sad to say - that as I was rather curious and decided to check out Osage Oranges to see if they really did work as a spider and insect repellent - you will probably be extremely disappointed to find out - that after reading the actual scientific information regarding this claim - Osage Oranges don't in fact work as a spider or insect repellent after all - as sadly its apparently nothing more than just a myth

see extract from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera

" Although Osage oranges are commonly believed to repel insects, there is insufficient evidence to support this. Research has shown that compounds extracted from the fruit, when concentrated, may repel insects. However, the naturally occurring concentrations of these compounds in the fruit are far too low to make the fruit an effective insect repellent.[23][24][25]
In 2004, the EPA insisted that a website selling Maclura pomifera fruits online remove any mention of their supposed pesticidal properties as false advertisements. "

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This fruit is new to me too. I have never heard of it or seen them before. I would love to be able to get rid of the spiders that like to hang out in my house and scare me during the fall months!

Reaction score
Uhm, this sounds like a wonderful idea, but I have never seen that thing before :( I'm all for natural and organic ways to keep all sorts of pests away,, but I don't think they sell this here. It's good to know tho.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I wish I could say the same about my dog! Unfortunately, he is terrified of spiders. He always runs away from them. It's weird, because other insects don't scare him at all. Chasing flies, bees, and butterflies is one of his favorite summer activities:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
" Although Osage oranges are commonly believed to repel insects, there is insufficient evidence to support this. Research has shown that compounds extracted from the fruit, when concentrated, may repel insects. However, the naturally occurring concentrations of these compounds in the fruit are far too low to make the fruit an effective insect repellent.[23][24][25]
In 2004, the EPA insisted that a website selling Maclura pomifera fruits online remove any mention of their supposed pesticidal properties as false advertisements. "

This is what I sometimes hate about the things that I find online. Most of them are just myths. This is sad. :( I really hate spiders because they look so creepy. I would just rely on natural predators then.

Reaction score
I have never heard of this. The last time I had to deal with so many spiders is when I stayed in a room at my grandfathers house that had been the oldest part of the house. But I would have loved to do something like this. For now I stay true to bug bombs, they give me the pooooower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have never heard of this. The last time I had to deal with so many spiders is when I stayed in a room at my grandfathers house that had been the oldest part of the house. But I would have loved to do something like this. For now I stay true to bug bombs, they give me the pooooower.
Spiders love old houses:( I live in a very old and big pre-war villa, so I know something about it. There are a few spiders in every room here. Fortunately, most of them are rather small and they spend time sitting on ceilings:confused:

Ask a Question