Tiny webs on hydrangeas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, my hydrangeas have tiny webs. Are these bugs that basically suck the life out of the leaves? If so, what is recommended to get rid of them?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, my hydrangeas have tiny webs. Are these bugs that basically suck the life out of the leaves? If so, what is recommended to get rid of them?

If there has been no damage, I wouldn't worry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most spiders have webs and are harmless to plants but there is another bug called a spider mite that will suck the life from your plants. These are very very tiny bugs and have a complicated reproduction cycle. You must break this cycle are they will come back year after year. We need to know where you are located and whether the plant is an indoor plant. Also pictures of the webs. It may be spiders and if so don't worry about them but it might very well be spider mites too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im in Michigan and I have them indoors until spring. Now that you mention it they probably are spider mites. They are tiny thicker webs than the normal spider web.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Im in Michigan and I have them indoors until spring. Now that you mention it they probably are spider mites. They are tiny thicker webs than the normal spider web.
If you don't kill the adults and the larvae in the soil you are wasting your time. Plus, the eggs are in the soil also and you must get rid of them too. That's why I said they have a complicated reproduction cycle. The first thing to do is to kill the mites on the plant. The second is to kill the larvae and the third is the eggs. Different species of spider mites have different days to maturity of both eggs and larvae. I would start by a spray regimen of Neem Oil on the plant. Both sides of the leaves and the trunk of the plant every 7 days. When you water make a soil drench with Neem and water with that. This will take several applications.

Ask a Question