TINY red bugs on plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have noticed a few on some of the plants outside. They are very tiny, about the size of a ball point pen mark. Bright red in color. Anyone know what these are? Are they harmful? If so, how can I get rid of them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It would be helpful to have a photo, and also to know what part of the country or climate zone you are in. What comes to mind is that they are aphids. Are they roundish and in groups clinging to stems and leaves? Aphids are sap suckers mostly planted by ants. Are there ants on the plants as well? This is a long shot guess without photo or location but this is what comes to mind from your description. You can get rid of them by spraying a mixture of dish soapy water on the plant, morning or evening when the plant is not in full sun. A couple of hours later you can hose the dish soapy residue off of the plant along with the dead aphids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Most likely clover mites and they are harmless. Well unless they start coming inside your house which I suppose could be a nuisance! I've never seen them inside though.

Welcome ashley...you can add your location to yoir public profile. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Without a picture of the problem and knowing your location it's impossible to tell, but, my guess would be red spider mites.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Without a picture of the problem and knowing your location it's impossible to tell, but, my guess would be red spider mites.
Reading the thread title, this was my guess, too.

ashley0323, if you could blow up a picture of them about a million times, do they look like this?

th

This is what they would look like compared to a hand?

th

Ask a Question