Time to start

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A month before average last frost here in Ada, Ok. We are having rain 2 days a week and my new garden area is mud with 1" crushed rock. Should I remove all the crushed rock before tilling? The area is an old greenhouse bed with gravel path down the middle. I'd like to plant in 5 rows and 4 walkways, but the gravel is pretty thick. Do you think it will hurt to leave it and till the rows?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you can get the gravels out, you will be much happier. If not then I feel bad for your tiller.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you can get the gravels out, you will be much happier. If not then I feel bad for your tiller.
My brother in law has an old , old tiller. I think he won't mind. He's been looking at it and is going to loan me that. What I am more concerned about is the growth of yams, onions, potatoes and above ground veggies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like you are describing a base for a roadbed. A couple rocks here and there wont hurt anything but growing anything in gravels isn't going to work too well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I remember when I made that greenhouse and I think I only put a front bucket of 1" crushed rock down for a walkway. Now I'm trying to get rocks out of about a 25'by 20' area. Just looks like crap!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think the gravel will be very good for drainage Don, especially as the lime will sweeten the soil. Most veg prefer an alkaline soil.

Best rhubarb I grew was in a pile of old lime mortar. It loved it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Does your soil need lime? I know some people here use such rock in the bottom of holes for plants like clematis because our clay is so acid by nature.
I have sandy loam and black soil mix, until I get down about 18" then clay. Been raining here and the water just lays on top and runs down hill. Fortunately I live on high ground. My creeks running good though.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
With the lime gravel as well you'll have a wonderful mix Don :) Clay is very fertile even though it's a pain in the bum.

I used to live on a sandstone ridge that had clay in the valley before the next ridge that was chalk. The soil in the valley got the sand from one side, lime from the other and mixed with the clay it was some of the best farmland in the South of England.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We've been having some really weird weather here in Okkie Dokkie land.(Ada, Oklahoma.) Rained about an inch Wednesday. Now Its high humidity and very windy. Just chills you to the bone. Garden is mud . I step out there and the water seeps up into my shoes.

Ask a Question