Time to move hydrangea plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I have an established matured hydrangea plant (over 10 years) and I need to move it 6 inches to the left from where it is right now because it's right up to the wall so it does not have room to expand. My question is when (fall, summer, etc.) is the best time to move my hydrangea plant and any tips (prune before moving ..etc.) to do to enhance the chance of it being alive since plants tend to die when you move them due to shock.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the hydrangea is one of the easiest plants to propagate (nodal or internodal cuttings) I would suggest you take a few pieces and root them before you dig the plant up. An aging hydrangea will not take kindly to being disturbed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hydrangeas are best transplanted after they go dormant. They typically have roots in the top 4" of the soil. The roots are tiny, shallow and fibruous. Try not to disturb them "too much" and try to move as many of the roots as you can. I would water the plant deeply before moving it to its new location (dig the new hole ahead of time). Do not fertilize it after moving it. Wait until you see leaf out in the Spring and, one-time only, maybe use half the regular amount of fertilizer unless your soil has mineral/nutrient deficiencies. Once transplanted, treat it as you would a newly planted hydrangea. Maintain 2-4 inches of organic mulch at all time and try to keep the soil as evenly moist (not wet, not dry, just moist) as you can. Assume it will be very sensitive to heat stress in Summer 2021.

Ask a Question