Thought She Said Sedum...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unsure of what this plant actually is. I received it from a woman thinning her plants out & I thought she said it was sedum. The varieties of sedum I've seen are much more dense than this. The leaves are soft like a succulent's. It's beginning to root in the pot a bit.

Attachments

• 20150725_143312.jpg
    20150725_143312.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 304
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum!

I have never seen a sedum that looks like that but someone else here is sure to be able to help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If it is a hardy Sedum then it well could be one of the Sedum album tribe. There are lots of slightly different ones. Having said that, the gaps between the leaves look a bit wide for S. album. There are a fair number of Sedum with that kind of leaf.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree, a sedum of some sort although like you most of what I've seen are more tightly formed. Perhaps it just needs to mature more. I wonder if it will get flowers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think it is in the sedum family, and if I remembered correctly, my sister's old house had them as ground cover in her front garden, and if they are the same kind, their flowers are gorgeous and will be to see.

Reaction score
Unsure of what this plant actually is. I received it from a woman thinning her plants out & I thought she said it was sedum. The varieties of sedum I've seen are much more dense than this. The leaves are soft like a succulent's. It's beginning to root in the pot a bit.

Hi and welcome :)

On looking at your plant - rather than belonging to the sedum family - i feel more than sure that what you have is this

Lampranthus

Lampranthus - Cherry Bomb.jpg

which apart from being extremely easy to grow - as well as propagate - comes in a variety of vibrant colors - which as they are long blooming really stand out in the garden - especially as they range from the brilliant pink of " cherry bomb "above through to purples and oranges too :)

The only downside is that the flowers don't open on cloudy days.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, a sedum of some sort although like you most of what I've seen are more tightly formed. Perhaps it just needs to mature more. I wonder if it will get flowers?

It is a fairly young plant, taken from a larger garden. Thanks!

I think it is in the sedum family, and if I remembered correctly, my sister's old house had them as ground cover in her front garden, and if they are the same kind, their flowers are gorgeous and will be to see.

...and she did mention that it was a ground cover. So perhaps!

Hi and welcome :)

On looking at your plant - rather than belonging to the sedum family - i feel more than sure that what you have.

Lampranthus

Those are gorgeous!
Thanks, everyone! I'll have to wait and see what happens with it, I guess :)

Ask a Question