Those terrible squirrels at my seeds !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
When it finally stopped raining long enough to get the garden rototilled, I could hardly wait to plant it, but then it just rained some more. Finally, the sun came out for a few days, and we actually got it all planted before the rain started again. Now, the lettuce and greens are starting to come up, but when I was checking on the progress, I found all my sunflower seed shells shredded all over in the garden. I thought they were planted deep enough, but maybe the rain washed the dirt off of them. Now, I am thinking that the squirrels probably also ate my corn and maybe even the squash and beans. So I guess this weeks chore will be replanting the seeds that the squirrels have eaten. Hopefully, the weather will stay warm, and this time, they can sprout before they get munched.
Sorry about the typo in the title, but I can't get edit to work for the title, just the post.

Reaction score
Sorry, that you have to redo all the work. Unless the rain did wash out the muck the squirrels wouldn't have got to the seeds. Are you sure you don't have rats or other rodents eating up your seeds? They could cause more damage than the squirrels and may have to be dealt with right away.

Reaction score
Is that frustrating, or what?! A few years ago I had a packet of Shasta daisies that had been given out as a favor at my nephew's wedding. I carefully prepared the soil, then planted the seeds. My Mom and my sister were sitting on the deck as I did this. My sister said I'd barely left when a chipmunk came, dug through the soil and ate the seeds. Never got a single daisy from that spot! :(

Reaction score
Squirrels are a pest, big-time. I'm sure they have a purpose in the ecosystem, but they can be very troubling critters. Several years ago, I had a few birdhouses in my back yard and most of the time, the houses were occupied. I had a couple bird feeders on hand, which would attract not only the local resident birds, but others as well. Of course, trying to keep the squirrels away from the seed was a full-time job. I bought the gray, plastic cover that you place above the feeder and that helped a little bit, but the squirrels would still manage to find creative ways to get to the bird seeds. The more creative way was to actually jump from a nearby tree and land just below the plastic cover. While doing this, they are knocking many of the seeds to the ground. If I were not the kind-hearted soul that I am, I would have bought a BB or pellet gun, and picked them off one by one. Eventually, because I found myself refilling the feeders, every-other-day, I finally just gave up.

Reaction score
I think squirrels, or chipmunk keeps digging up my bulbs and moving them. I planted my garlic in one place and I found them in a few different places this spring. I also dry my seed outside and I think some rodent has been eating them. I love to watch squirrels and chipmunks when they play in the garden.. But when they are out of my sight, they wreck havoc!

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Squirrels at all, in any way shape or form. I realize they are God's creatures too, but there is a reason behind my disdain for the furry creatures. Several years ago I lived for a short period of time in a home I was renting. There was a small hole above the back door that led to the loft or attic of the house. I started hearing something in the attic directly above my bedroom. I couldn't figure out what it was, all I could hear was something that sounded like a soft gallop, as if baby horses were galloping above me, with footsies on. Turns out, it was Squirrels galloping all through the attic. Once as I was entering from the back door (back door of the house .. LOL), I actually saw a Squirrel go through the hole, that's when my fears were confirmed. I contacted the landlord, he was a bit slow in fixing the hole but he finally did. Another reason I can't stand Squirrels is because of what Rzashida mentioned, they are straight-up Garden THUGS! Always stealing bird seed, seeds from the garden, anything they can get their furry little paws on.

Damn Squirrels .. I need a drink! (Tea) ..

Reaction score
Funny Taskeinc, Squirrels are rats in fancy coats. The only reason I have patience for them & chipmunks are because they are cute. You have me cracking up over here! "Baby Horses with footsies on" . I've hear of squirrels taking every fruit off of a apple tree. I had to squirrel proof my seed saving method, I decided to dry my seeds by putting them into a jar without a lid, the jar is small enough to prevent the squirrels from getting into it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Well, I am getting to be proactive with these squirrel pests ! Now, they have started coming into the carport, and they got the lid off of the bird seed container, and just had a birdseed banquet out there.
SO.... I found a locking tub to put the birdseed in, and they will not be able to break in to that container.
Then I ordered a Bird-X pest repellant from Amazon. It puts out sonic and subsonic noises, and is supposed to repel not only rodents and raccoons, but also supposed to get rid of bugs. Since this is the season for the bug invasion as well, I am hoping that it will discourage spiders and Mosquitos, and whatever bugs are poking around my house as well.
This is usually a $95 unit, but Amazon has them for $29 with free shipping, plus I had a $5 gift card for Amazon, so I got the whole thing for about $25.
If it works on ANY of the nuisance critters, I will be very happy with it.

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Squirrels at all, in any way shape or form. I realize they are God's creatures too, but there is a reason behind my disdain for the furry creatures. Several years ago I lived for a short period of time in a home I was renting. There was a small hole above the back door that led to the loft or attic of the house. I started hearing something in the attic directly above my bedroom. I couldn't figure out what it was, all I could hear was something that sounded like a soft gallop, as if baby horses were galloping above me, with footsies on. Turns out, it was Squirrels galloping all through the attic. Once as I was entering from the back door (back door of the house .. LOL), I actually saw a Squirrel go through the hole, that's when my fears were confirmed. I contacted the landlord, he was a bit slow in fixing the hole but he finally did. Another reason I can't stand Squirrels is because of what Rzashida mentioned, they are straight-up Garden THUGS! Always stealing bird seed, seeds from the garden, anything they can get their furry little paws on.

Damn Squirrels .. I need a drink! (Tea) ..

LOL....I'm laughing at your send off. But I completely understand your frustration over having them inside your home! I'm fearful of that as well. We have grey squirrels, red squirrels and chipmunks that come to our feeder. I just keep praying they like living in nature, because I DO NOT want them inside my roof!!

Reaction score
Don't worry Babble64, as long as you don't have a place for them to enter your loft or attic, and there are no trees close or branches close to your house, you don't have anything to worry about. There were lots of trees in that particular back yard and a few of the branches were close enough where the squirrels could easily get to the roof, and from there the little ba$tards (oops) would enter the attic.

Reaction score
Don't worry Babble64, as long as you don't have a place for them to enter your loft or attic, and there are no trees close or branches close to your house, you don't have anything to worry about. There were lots of trees in that particular back yard and a few of the branches were close enough where the squirrels could easily get to the roof, and from there the little ba$tards (oops) would enter the attic.

Too late! There IS a tree close and they DO get on my roof. Sigh!

Ask a Question