This plant has invaded my garden and won't go away

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Kindly help me in identifying and getting rid of this plant that has invaded a part of our garden.
It has deep roots and I cannot dig out the full extent of its roots without harming the neighboring plans.
Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• pest.jpg
    pest.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 179
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Syed Gillani:)

Invasive weeds can be a problem for most of us at some time and need patience and determination to get rid of. I am not at all sure what plant you have there I`m afraid, although it put me in mind of turmeric, which grows on rhizomes a bit like ginger.
Do you know if any of your neighbours have the same plant? I think I would ask them as a start, as it will have invaded them as well I should think.
Most of the time here we pull weeds by hand, but when faced with these problem ones we resort to using a weedkiller with glyphosate in it.
You would have to protect surrounding plants though. The glyphosate is systemic and needs to be applied to nice new growing shoots through the leaves. With really stubborn weeds it may take a few applications before you eradicate it completely.
Very best of luck, and please let us know how you get on. (y)

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Getting a Glyphosate containing herbicide.
Hoping for the best for us, the worst for the weed.
Regards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
...... and if you get a glyphosate weedkiller, you can join the Roundup compensation bandwaggon!!

Seriously though, it does look like Lily of the Valley. What are the flowers like? Small round white bell shapes flowers - it's them. If the leaves get very long with arching stems of small trumpet shaped red flowers, it's Crocosmia (humming birds love them), but I'm thinking probably the former. Both spread vigorously so pulling or weedkiller is about all you can do.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
...... and if you get a glyphosate weedkiller, you can join the Roundup compensation bandwaggon!!

Seriously though, it does look like Lily of the Valley. What are the flowers like? Small round white bell shapes flowers - it's them. If the leaves get very long with arching stems of small trumpet shaped red flowers, it's Crocosmia (humming birds love them), but I'm thinking probably the former. Both spread vigorously so pulling or weedkiller is about all you can do.
Haven't seen the flowers yet; keep pulling it out regularly. Tried to dig out from the roots but they are very deep. Actually thought of digging out the whole area but boundary walls are nearby and structural damage is a possible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Syed Gillani although lily of the valley has very similar leaves, and grows on rhizomes like this
1596525493222.png

it seems to me that you would be able to dig it up with little effort. All the lily of the valley I have had growing here has been very easy to dig up and transplant, and has never given me the trouble that your weed is giving you.
It seems to me that the ''glyphosate'' word is the trigger for some people to get a bit upset about, and I understand that this is banned in some countries. Here, we use this in a selective way, very infrequently.... because it works.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
@Syed Gillani although lily of the valley has very similar leaves, and grows on rhizomes like this View attachment 69560
it seems to me that you would be able to dig it up with little effort. All the lily of the valley I have had growing here has been very easy to dig up and transplant, and has never given me the trouble that your weed is giving you.
It seems to me that the ''glyphosate'' word is the trigger for some people to get a bit upset about, and I understand that this is banned in some countries. Here, we use this in a selective way, very infrequently.... because it works.
True; I am using glyphosate solution with a dropper, exactly on the leaves and buds of this plant and nothing else. I do not know the effective frequency of application, so I have started using it twice a day. Although the leaves are strikingly similar to the one in the picture, the one I am dealing with has rhizomes that are at the depth of at least a foot. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Syed Gillani It is important that you use this diluted, - strictly as the instructions say. Read the label. The solution should only be used ONCE. It will then take at least two weeks to show results. Over dosing your weeds will not help at all.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
@Syed Gillani It is important that you use this diluted, - strictly as the instructions say. Read the label. The solution should only be used ONCE. It will then take at least two weeks to show results. Over dosing your weeds will not help at all.
Whoops! Oh! ok. I'll stop using it now and wait. Thanks.

Ask a Question