This is so hard...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
so my tomato seedlings have had their true leaves for a bit now and all the sudden they started curling up :( I feel like growing plants is just an emotional turmoil. It’s like they are dying one min then they aren’t, ive lost 20 seedlings and only had 8 thriving now they are dying. I think I give up. Lol guess I’m too dumb to do this. :(((

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I cry with you! But I still haven't seen my tomato seedlings, but other penstemon and petunia have given me the same heartbreak!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Look at the requirements first and then see how well they are being met.
1. Moisture- keep it constant but not wet
2. Heat - to germinate the temp must be in the proper range
3. Light - those first 2 leaves have to have proper light to grow the seedling.
4. Nutrition- if you started the seeds in those little starter kits the seedlings are probably starving to death. They are just fiber to hold moisture in most cases.

Don’t get discouraged when a plant dies. If you learn something from it you will be a better gardener. ( I have to keep telling myself this every year.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Silentrunning is right, many people just beginning don't know that those seed starting kits can kill your seedlings faster than anything! They have no nutrients, no room, and they dry out extremely fast. I've found that plain old garden dirt mixed with compost and a few butter tubs will work just fine. Don't be discouraged, its all a learning experience. Unfortunately, we didn't have the previous generation teaching us how to grow our food, so we have to reinvent the wheel every time!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Air circulation is very important after germination. Before that, I always wrap the pots / trays with seeds tight. This creates a clean environment, no fungal matters or snat will breed or land on the soil. As soon as I see the seedlings, I remove the bags. But this year, the temperature fluctuations have made life hell for me. Never had had it like that before. April and heating is still on. I cry for my seedlings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Overwatering tomato starts is an easy way to weaken or kill the plants. I buy potting mix at my local gardening co-op and have had no issues. Stay away from cheap soil mixes and I personally won’t touch anything miracle grow.

A small fan blowing on your starts for half the day is what I do, under 12 hours of a T5 light. If you’re not using a full spectrum light specifically designed for plants, you’re asking for growth issues. You can get a light to start a dozen tomatoes or more off places like Amazon for like $34 delivered.

Lastly, watch what the plant is doing, closely, every single day. You can see in advance if they’re distressed and you sometimes have time to correct it. The first 2 leaves a tomato puts on, not the true leaves, are a tomato’s indicator for problems. This is what a healthy tomato start looks like, and the leaves you need to watch everyday.
6C852442-49E5-4FA0-8BF2-9BDE41A62200.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks you all this helped and I actually revived my plants mostly! I moved them into a more humid room with better air flow and watered them well. I still have so many questions. I have two plants per container. When should I clip the weaker one or do I even have to?

Attachments

• D3EECB1A-E5F3-44E5-8220-2A1BD172AAF1.jpeg
    D3EECB1A-E5F3-44E5-8220-2A1BD172AAF1.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 213
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You don’t have to but you won’t get any more tomatoes by not. They become limited by lateral spacing, mostly. In theory you could grow a short bushy determinate and vining indeterminate in the same space but pruning would become obnoxious and you’d have to feed them like crazy. You may also have airflow problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Overwatering tomato starts is an easy way to weaken or kill the plants. I buy potting mix at my local gardening co-op and have had no issues. Stay away from cheap soil mixes and I personally won’t touch anything miracle grow.

A small fan blowing on your starts for half the day is what I do, under 12 hours of a T5 light. If you’re not using a full spectrum light specifically designed for plants, you’re asking for growth issues. You can get a light to start a dozen tomatoes or more off places like Amazon for like $34 delivered.

Lastly, watch what the plant is doing, closely, every single day. You can see in advance if they’re distressed and you sometimes have time to correct it. The first 2 leaves a tomato puts on, not the true leaves, are a tomato’s indicator for problems. This is what a healthy tomato start looks like, and the leaves you need to watch everyday. View attachment 34269
You don’t have to but you won’t get any more tomatoes by not. They become limited by lateral spacing, mostly. In theory you could grow a short bushy determinate and vining indeterminate in the same space but pruning would become obnoxious and you’d have to feed them like crazy. You may also have airflow problems.

Would I need to gently separate their roots when planting outside soon?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Would I need to gently separate their roots when planting outside soon?

I don’t know how well that would work, never tried. I only pluck them out before their first true leaves if I’m going to save them. Otherwise I cull and leave 1 per pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Half my starts came up yesterday and more today. I will let them lose the seed pod and get started, then feed them a weak but well rounded feeding, micros and all. They are outside and out from under the seeding dome. It is gentle weather but if storms come I bring them inside.

@alp is "snat" a technical term?:LOL:

Ask a Question