This guy came walking by

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This guy came walking by on his way someplace. Anyone care to guess who he/she is? Sorry the images are a bit fuzzy.

IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don`t think we have those.
1622411821140.png
This is the Camberwell beauty - the poshest one I have seen here.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The biggest butterfly I`ve seen - and I only spotted the one. I followed it all the way along the lane here, and it fluttered on just in front of my face as if it wanted me to follow it. Magic!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor) occurs throughout much of the continental U.S., as well as southern Canada and northern Mexico.
An endemic subspecies (B. philenor ssp. hirsuta) is endemic to northern California. A second species, the Goldrim Swallowtail (Battus polydamas) also occurs in the southeastern U.S. All members of the genus Battus use Pipevines (Aristolochia spp.), also know as Dutchman's Pipe vines.

Camberwell Beauty (Nymphalis antiopa) is known as Mourning Cloak in North America. The species is circumboreal in both Eurasia and North America. The larvae feed most commonly on Willow (Salix), but other species have been reported, including Alder (Alnus), Birch (Betula), Cottonwood & Poplar (Populus), Elm (Ulmus), Hackberry (Celtis), Hawthorn (Crataegus), and Rose (Rosa).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are a bunch of verbena bonariensis up against the fence at the back of a South facing bed. We have had Red Admirals, Peacocks, Tortoiseshell, and Fritillary there this year. None of them terribly uncommon, though much less common than they used to be, but all of them very beautiful. I actually saw a Red Admiral yesterday, that's late, we had frost on the grass this morning.
As a teenager I lived in Harlow new town and all the pubs were called after butterflies with names that had a double meaning and had a sign with the butterfly on one side and the pun on the other, so my local for example was the Garden Tiger, with a picture of a ginger cat on the reverse, then there was the Painted Lady, the Heats and clubs, the Small Copper, the Purple Emperor etc. I knew a good few pubs as a teenager, and know what quite a few butterflies I have never seen look like. :)

Ask a Question