Thirsty Basil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a basil plant in a pot. Wow, this plant is thirsty. I have to water it every single day. If I miss one day it starts wilting and going wimp.

But its growing real good. I prune it regularly and it just keeps growing and sending out more shoots.

Never seen such a thirsty plant :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Norm, we have two basils in pots--extras that I started from seed and was too soft hearted to toss out. They absorb water like sponges! I water daily--about a quart each, and they suck it up like crazy!
I do hope you are using the prunings--basil leaves in food, chopped and frozen, and even dried. You can start new basil plants from cuttings placed in a 50/50 mixture of perlite and vermiculite, kept damp and out of direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I sure am using the prunings Marlin. Pesto, sauces, pizzas, share with neighbors.

I was surprised how much more flavorful these are over the store bought basil. I had thought there wouldn't be as much difference in herbs, unlike in fruits, between homegrown and store bought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Came across an interesting tip on another basil thread - If the potted basil plant wilts in just one day of not watering i.e. comes to be so sensitive to lack of water, but grows well otherwise, it has likely outgrown the pot and its roots have become a ball, time to repot.

Ask a Question