Third Time, no Fourth Time Lucky I Hope!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
When I first bought these pots the idea was to greet you and draw you towards the front door.
I wanted something tall so I put in Yuccas which grew very well, just the right height to poke you in the eye....:confused: So of course they had to go. Next I put in draceanas which cost a pretty penny. They had 3 stems each and looked really great. However I overwatered them and they died. I tried, as was suggested, lifting them out to dry out, changed the soil but to no avail. Next I tried Dizygotheca elegantissima because I have one growing very successfully under cover on my verandah and its tall and elegant as the name suggests. Because they were only small I thought I'd put tall begonias with them till they flourished. The begonias died and the others just didn't thrive at all. Now I have 2 standard Syzygium Australe, a small compact Brush Cherry Tree which according to its tag, has clusters of fluffy white flowers in summer followed by purplish red berries. On the advice from my local nursery people, I have put them in pots which just for in to the large ceramic pots so I can take them out once a week and put in the sun. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.;)
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Fingers crossed:) I hope your new plants will grow well. They look lovely!:) I would love to see your compact Brush Cherry Tree in bloom. Clusters of fluffy white flowers sound absolutely beautiful!:D

Reaction score
How are your two Syzygium Australe doing today?? I hope they are still going strong and they are a success for you (specially after those few failures). Your posts always make me smile for some reason, they're so funny & enjoyable :love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
How are your two Syzygium Australe doing today?? I hope they are still going strong and they are a success for you (specially after those few failures). Your posts always make me smile for some reason, they're so funny & enjoyable :love:
So far so good but it's early days. Maybe the pots are jinxed:confused:. Glad you enjoy my posts, it's a great forum isn't it? I enjoy connecting with everyone on such a global scale and it really connects us all.:love:

Reaction score
@DeborahJane We used to say that about a place, because all the little business that were settling there broke, but now there is a restaurant there ;) It's been there for more than 2 years :LOL: I'm sure this time around will be the good one!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do hydrangea grow in your area? If so tree hydrangea would be perfect they can take shade and don't require much if any work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks Mgmine. The tree hydrangeas are a great idea. I've never heard of them so just checked them out and they would be lovely. Will now search for them as I am concerned about my 4th choice. I have planty of space for them to be moved to where they'd get more sunlight but they are looking good so far.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@DeborahJane We used to say that about a place, because all the little business that were settling there broke, but now there is a restaurant there ;) It's been there for more than 2 years :LOL: I'm sure this time around will be the good one!
Thanks Trellum. I do like them in the pots but also really like Mgmine's suggestion of tree hydrangeas so will keep an eye open for future option.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes check them out but as I mentioned they will take shade but not as well as regular hydrangea.

Reaction score
Thanks Trellum. I do like them in the pots but also really like Mgmine's suggestion of tree hydrangeas so will keep an eye open for future option.

Hydrangeneas also sound like a great option! But they can grow really big, right? The ones I have seen looked like a bush, I think you'd need to make sure to keep them under control very often D:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Update. NOW 6th TRY!!:eek: Not only did this choice not survive but the next try, 2 standard ficus have been a dud. The one closest to the edge of the carport is looming ok but the one further in is,....well, have a look
rps20170510_011901.jpg
Now I have replaced them with good old fashioned hopefully sturdy indoor surviving......and do you think I can think of the name at 1.30 am when I should be sound asleep. No I can't. I wonder if there is enough light to take a photo. I'll give it a go.View attachment 2035
1494344703001-1200334537.jpg

Attachments

• rps20170510_011929.jpg
    rps20170510_011929.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 1494344330463-1282994320.jpg
    1494344330463-1282994320.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 271

Ask a Question