Thinning vegetable plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've got a little vegetable garden growing, so far so good! It's my first year, though, and even though I've researched the crap out of it, I'd like opinions from some people that have done this for a while! Haha. Anyways! I've read that you are supposed to thin out vegetables when they are first sprouting so they have room to grow and I haven't yet because I'm afraid I'm going to ruin the plants and not have good growing ones once they are in full bloom. I know I may have planted a little bit too much probably since some of the seeds were so small and I couldn't completely see where they landed.

Suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Thinning is always difficult and time consuming. Too late now but care when planting is the best. But cutting excess plants off is probably the best method of thinning, since there is no root disturbance with the few plants remaining. Do this when the plants are large enough to separate without too much difficulty.

I tend to be very carful when planting with various degree of success.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
On the back of each packet of seeds they give spacing recommendations. Take a look at those and plant and thin according to their suggestions. I tend to plant more too, but with things like herbs or lettuce, just thin the seedlings and eat your thinnings. Things like beets, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes and the like can be eaten in immature stages (and they're very good that way too!). Enjoy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks! I'm new to all this, and I don't want to kill all the beautiful sprouts! Haha. I'll probably be taking a picture of my garden for further advice!

Ask a Question