Thinning plant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi does anyone know why my house plants are thinning at the bottom of plant. And how to fix this please? Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do you mean they are loosing their lower leaves? Or loosing leaves all over? Photos would be helpful to determine whether it might be pests, transitional shock from recent addition to you household, drafts if near vents, doors or windows and over or under watering. Variety of plants is also helpful. A wide variety of things might be impacting your plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there thanks for your comment please find attached photos! I do tend to move them around my house when they are looking different or sad!

Attachments

• EEE501D3-59A5-498D-8C76-87FDD302E269.jpeg
    EEE501D3-59A5-498D-8C76-87FDD302E269.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 45E15016-33C9-45EB-B14C-3D730891EE29.jpeg
    45E15016-33C9-45EB-B14C-3D730891EE29.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 48
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Schefflera seems to be in a pot that is far too small, so maybe by spring it could be repotted with some fresh compost.
Have those pots got drainage holes in the bottom?
The other common problem at this time of year is central heating, which dries the air and is really bad for plants.
I would be inclined to prune the Schefflera now before new growth appears as it will help to thicken up the growth - cut the tops off just above a node to a tidy shape.
The Pilea needs more light, which might be hard to find in winter, -( well, both plants do) You could try pruning that down too and make cuttings.... a little compost and a pot or two and you could grow baby Pilea plants in two or three months :joyful:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1610535556122.png
1610535575265.png

@Hollie , can you see anything like this on your plants? I can`t see well on the photos...... if so, you need to deal with spider mites ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Schefflera seems to be in a pot that is far too small, so maybe by spring it could be repotted with some fresh compost.
Have those pots got drainage holes in the bottom?
The other common problem at this time of year is central heating, which dries the air and is really bad for plants.
I would be inclined to prune the Schefflera now before new growth appears as it will help to thicken up the growth - cut the tops off just above a node to a tidy shape.
The Pilea needs more light, which might be hard to find in winter, -( well, both plants do) You could try pruning that down too and make cuttings.... a little compost and a pot or two and you could grow baby Pilea plants in two or three months :joyful:
Perfect I will take your advice! Yes repotting defo with drainage!! Thank you! X

Ask a Question