Things that people that garden understand...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
Super excited today...seedsnow is having a Mother's Day sale with free shipping. I've had great results with their seeds last year, so figured I'd do a tiny splurge and get me a few of the 99 cent sample packs. So for $9.90 with free shipping this is what I got:

Heritage Rainbow mix Tomatoes 10 seeds
Black Cherry Tomato 15 seeds
Homemade Pickles cucumber 25 seeds
America Spinach 70 seeds
Garlic Chives 115 seeds
Dark green Romaine 135 seeds
Poblano peppers 15 seeds
Jalapeno 25 seeds
Black Krim tomato 15 seeds
Kentucky Wonder pole beans 35 seeds

I figured hey I can see what things I like and since their all heirloom, I can try my hand at seed saving. I'm so excited but non gardening people don't get it. Oh well I know you all do! I am most excited about the Heritage Rainbow mix. It looks interesting and I can't wait to see what they look like

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like you've got yourself a bargain. (y) The three packets of tomato seeds alone would cost us almost that here in Britain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Love bargains! Looks like you picked some good ones!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
What a lovely bargain you found! The only one I've had experience with is the garlic chives. You'll really like the taste--and they are very hardy and come back year after year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
If anyone else is interested the website is www.seedsnow.com

The free shipping is for 1 more day!

and Marlin, I had no idea! So they are considered a perennial then? I am trying to incorporate more perennials into my garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
Did a search and happy accident with those garlic chives. Seems like I might not have to use up all my seeds anytime soon...I heard the flowers were pretty

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Dreams, yes the garlic chives are most definitely perennial! When they flower the tops are lavender and frilly. I don't let mine develop seed heads--I have enough garlic chives without adding to the population.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I am still searching for the peach coloured periwinkle (Vinca Rosea) and hope to find it some day.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing. It is interesting how gardeners can get excited about something and share it with someone that could not care less and they give you that look that says what on earth are you talking about. I started a celery from a stalk and was excited my daughter asked why did you do that just buy some when you go to the store, she took the fun out of it,

Reaction score
Awesome!!!! You got poblano pepper seeds!!! i thought those were hard to get, specially heirloom ones. Do you think hey also sell ''tomatillo'' seeds over there as well??? I need all sorts of peppers seeds and green tomatillos. Do they deliver worldwide or only in the US???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing the link, I'm headed over there now. My budget is so tight this year, I didn't think I'd be able to buy anything, but at .99 cents and free shipping, I can splurge $10 or so.

I find there are so many things non-gardeners don't get - like playing in the dirt, or being able to start new plants from cuttings or divisions. Or the fact some plants have single petals while others have doubles (like tulips). They don't get how we can spend so much time planning the perfect perennial garden - you have to consider size, bloom time, color, type of leaf, color of the leaves, etc. To them green is green, they don't understand that there are dozens of different greens. Or how we can enjoy getting hot and sweating pulling weeds.

I find the biggest thing they don't understand is the sense of wonder you get when you've "created" life - whether from seeds, cuttings or plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
Awesome!!!! You got poblano pepper seeds!!! i thought those were hard to get, specially heirloom ones. Do you think hey also sell ''tomatillo'' seeds over there as well??? I need all sorts of peppers seeds and green tomatillos. Do they deliver worldwide or only in the US???

I did a search, and they seem to have a verde tomatillo and a large fruited tomatillo. Not sure of the difference but go to their page and see.

As far as shipping, this is what they said per their FAQ sheet:
Where can you ship your seeds to?
  • USA: YES, we ship all across the United States, including Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Alaska.
  • CANADA: YES, we ship into Canada all the time.
  • International/Overseas: NO, not at this time. We are working on an international shipping program. Click here to get notified as soon as we begin shipping to your country.
Maybe if you had a friend in the US or Canada, they could help you out maybe order for you? I don't know if that's legal though since I"ve never been in that situation lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing the link, I'm headed over there now. My budget is so tight this year, I didn't think I'd be able to buy anything, but at .99 cents and free shipping, I can splurge $10 or so.

I find there are so many things non-gardeners don't get - like playing in the dirt, or being able to start new plants from cuttings or divisions. Or the fact some plants have single petals while others have doubles (like tulips). They don't get how we can spend so much time planning the perfect perennial garden - you have to consider size, bloom time, color, type of leaf, color of the leaves, etc. To them green is green, they don't understand that there are dozens of different greens. Or how we can enjoy getting hot and sweating pulling weeds.

I find the biggest thing they don't understand is the sense of wonder you get when you've "created" life - whether from seeds, cuttings or plant.

I am so happy the link was useful for you! Sometimes I get a little overly excited, so I was hoping no one was thinking I was trying to solicite this site or advertise for them. I'm a bit of a couponer and bargain hunter. They always have the sampler packs, but the shipping is like $4.95. But I"m happy for you that you get to plant some seeds now! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The best shipping in life is free! That is great that you were able to get so many seed packets for a good price, and was able to get free shipping out of the deal too. I just went to Lowe's and spent $8.00 for 4 packs of seeds, so you deffinately got a better bargain than I did. I am going to check out that website.

Ask a Question