They survived

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Here Connecticut (and northern climes in US) usually Chrysanthemums are grown and bought for fall colors and typically left to die or tossed after fall blooms are gone because they don't overwinter well in the cold. A couple years ago I heard of some that had a better chance to survive and purchased a few last fall (first time I had found them offered anywhere where I could get them). Really the wrong time to plant but did anyway and raising the ground up a tad and mulch for the winter and it appears they made it through and are showing some early growth. Right now with no leaves on the trees they are getting a good dose of sun , whether that will continue later only time will tell.. Will have to wait and see on the Asters I planted last fall also (first time trying them)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Congratulations!

I had a quick look around my cold frames today - before it started snowing- and saw some green where I planted a second row of leeks fairly late last season. I also think that a few bunching onions are greening up.

Not nearly as pretty as yours but am quite pleased.

I had an aster years ago and it did beautifully until I moved it. Loved the little pinky/purply flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here Connecticut (and northern climes in US) usually Chrysanthemums are grown and bought for fall colors and typically left to die or tossed after fall blooms are gone because they don't overwinter well in the cold. A couple years ago I heard of some that had a better chance to survive and purchased a few last fall (first time I had found them offered anywhere where I could get them). Really the wrong time to plant but did anyway and raising the ground up a tad and mulch for the winter and it appears they made it through and are showing some early growth. Right now with no leaves on the trees they are getting a good dose of sun , whether that will continue later only time will tell.. Will have to wait and see on the Asters I planted last fall also (first time trying them)

I've had them come back many times, but they never looked that good the next year, and always wound up pulling them. Very time consuming pinching them back when they can be bought so cheaply each year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I've had them come back many times, but they never looked that good the next year, and always wound up pulling them. Very time consuming pinching them back when they can be bought so cheaply each year.

I have heard and experienced that some time ago, these newer ones (currently marketed by name as 'mammoth mums' ) are supposed to be good to -30 F degrees and need no pinching (yeah)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Really! Gonna have to give them a try, and you are just a tad colder then me. I believe you said you are near the sound, right? I'm only 10-12 miles from you as the crow flies if this is correct.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Really! Gonna have to give them a try, and you are just a tad colder then me. I believe you said you are near the sound, right? I'm only 10-12 miles from you as the crow flies if this is correct.
Actually I am in Northern CT , right on Mass line. If you can't find them locally, Burpee's has them as well as at least one other place online. They will start small, but if you google the 'mammoth' name you will find the growth rate is supposed to be very good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Actually I am in Northern CT , right on Mass line. If you can't find them locally, Burpee's has them as well as at least one other place online. They will start small, but if you google the 'mammoth' name you will find the growth rate is supposed to be very good
Okay I'm getting old. Forgot you were way up there. I'm gonna look locally. If I don't find them, no biggie. Thanks Eb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Just a little update ( for me mostly), they Aster's did indeed appear start anew around May 1st (next year if I forget when they did I may be able to find it here if I look :) ) .
The mamouth mums are doing ok also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My chrysanthemums have come back for two years now, but only one that is really healthy and growing. The other one didn't do well at all and stayed very small. I have just re-planted it in another spot and hopefully, it will thrive!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We have no winter per se but the only way I get to have my chrysanthemums yield again is that I replant the cuttings of the plant without roots.

Reaction score
In mexico they use Chrysanthemums for their day of the dead celebration, it's like the official flower, as well as marigolds :) I honestly prefer the Chrysanthemums, because they come in so many different colors. Some people cultivatre them just for this purpose in mexico, go sell them to the passers by who are going to visit their loved ones in the cemetary. It's so interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Two out of three Mammoth mums colors have decided late June is a good time to bloom, only the red one is hold back and hasn't developed flower buds yet, The one thats looks like a closeip was the purple one from last fall, about 3 inch tall baby, its about 30 inchs tall now and next year should get big

Attachments

• mum1.jpg
    mum1.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 332
  • mum2.jpg
    mum2.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 305
  • mum3.jpg
    mum3.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Congratulations, Everbrown, I'm happy to hear that your plants survived the winter:) They all look very pretty! Thank you for sharing those pictures.

Ask a Question