Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
6EA5D12A-D2B3-48FC-8CBB-906C7DFFC367.jpeg

Jut like clockwork. We celebrate Memorial Day and our hummingbirds return. I curried the horses and put the hair out for them to build their nests. We usually don’t put out much juice for them but the recent dry spell has left most of the flowers wilted to the point that the birds won’t visit them.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
SR: have you got a recipe for the nectar please? Would love to seriously make one. No hummingbirds here, but parrots and finches are possible in the UK.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Alp- 1 cup sugar & 4 cups water. Bring to a boil and let cool. No need to add red coloring, its actually bad for the birds.

Yep. I use the same homemade nectar. I've had quite a few hummingbirds throughout the month. I'll probably bring the feeder in now that the orioles don't seem to be showing up as much. They can eat the oranges, and the hummers will find plenty of nectar from my columbines and other natives as the season goes on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
SR: have you got a recipe for the nectar please? Would love to seriously make one. No hummingbirds here, but parrots and finches are possible in the UK.

It is a commercial premixed liquid we get from the local feed store. We use it sparingly because we don’t want the birds to become dependent on it. Right now though, my roses are the only thing in bloom.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It is a commercial premixed liquid we get from the local feed store. We use it sparingly because we don’t want the birds to become dependent on it. Right now though, my roses are the only thing in bloom.

Yes, good idea!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Silentrunning, it looks like you need an ant trap!! :giggle: (y)

I made mine out of the bottom of a water bottle and some string, but I've been wanting to upgrade it to something prettier. I had my eye on a plastic spice jar that has a pretty shape, but I really like that little terra cotta pot one. (Although, on a hot day, I bet the water would evaporate too fast. :unsure:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Silentrunning, it looks like you need an ant trap!! :giggle: (y)

I made mine out of the bottom of a water bottle and some string, but I've been wanting to upgrade it to something prettier. I had my eye on a plastic spice jar that has a pretty shape, but I really like that little terra cotta pot one. (Although, on a hot day, I bet the water would evaporate too fast. :unsure:)

View attachment 54501

View attachment 54499

View attachment 54500

You’re right. Ants are a constant problem. I guess I’ try to see if I can build one of those traps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We smeared axle grease in a 1" wide band around the feeders' support poles, cleaned the feeders to get rid of the ants, and haven't had any problem since. Now we put the grease on as soon as we put out the feeders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Exactly, how is red coloring bad for birds?
I have to let this person explain the thoughts. Like they say the feeder is already red. Here, we have red umbrellas too in case a Mr or Mrs Magoo is in our woods and cannot see the feeder. So we do not color nectar because its not necessary on top of the petrochemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Balony. Bologna. No science to it, all opinion of people who are Luddites. Toxic is matter of level, not material. Eat a tablespoon of salt and get back to me. The amount of whatever red colorant in 2 quarts of water with sugar would be ppm, -parts per million, hard to calculate and probably ineffective as a poison at that level. Scare mongers always assume conditions waaaayyy out of proportion to what exists in reality, and use words synonymous they believe are negative. Petrochemicals are the feedstocks of modern life, without which many kinds of things would not exist at prices the common man can afford and replace wood and metal, freeing them for better application.

Like to stay organic? Coal is organic. Have a problem with plastic floating around the oceans? People elect politicians that elect to dispose of trash in the oceans. People is the problem, not plastic, or petrochemicals, or coal, or any material used by society. Want a clean environment? First, kill all the politicians. (Shakespeare, eat your heart out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
siddhant

Latest Threads