The shed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Undecided on a roofing except it isn't going to be shingles. Will never use shingles again in my life time. would rather collect tin cans cut in hald and lay them on the roof like cedar shakes.

Really thinking about Ondura sheets. Easier to cut than coragated steel roofing from what I see when looking at the two.

:D Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Because they take a lot of time to apply and don't last that long. Try to get them to back their 25 year warranty even if you do have the recept for proof of perches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK we usually use roofing felt for sheds. The best is a bitumised polymer with a coloured sand finish.

It's easy to use and quite durable.

The original felt was getting a bit tired but still waterproof after 22 years, so I re-felted it fifteen years ago. Still looking good this year.

P1020615.JPG

This felt I'd been patchng for a few years. But still didn't leak,

P1020436.JPG

it was 43 years old when I replaced it this year.

P1020442.JPG

P1020443.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
We call that stuff rolled roofing. Ya it's cheap and last pretty good in some areas. Here where we have snow, ice rain and blazing sun not so well.

A picture of Ondura shed roof.
1572989743562.png

Comes in this red color, green and silver and I have been told black but have not seen any that color.

Cost is about 24.00 a sheet at the local Home Depot but Me being a Vet I take 10% off that price.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
We have metal on the cabin roof, the pole barn roof and the honey house roof. but it is expencive.

Is easy to put on last at least 50 years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A metal roof is the way to go but at my age I don't expect to see another 30 years or for that matter 20 years so I would use the cheapest best product that I could find. But that doesn't mean putting junk on. The most important thing for me is how the roof looks. If it looks great but takes an extra day to install that would be fine. If it looks terrible and takes longer to install or looks cheap then that isn't acceptable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Metal will not work here. Far to many overhanging trees. I mean it would work, but it needs a hammered finish because it most certainly will get hammered by the trees every year. We use shingles, and flat ones, not the raised arichetectural type, as they allow better leaf fall off the roof, and are more easily replaced or repaired. Once I opened a closet and was presented with a tree limb. The roof was repaired the same day. It is most definitely a lifestyle choice. It does involve the downstairs during windstorms, just to be clear about it all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Tin cans might end up being labor intensive, but if coated correctly would last a long time and look interesting. Like back in the day people would collect auto license plates and use them.

Depending on how much time you want to put in, making your own wood shingles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
During my visit to south East Asia I marveled at the huts that had tim can roofing and sideing for that matter.

Those people had more time than money. take a sledge hammer to a 8 to 10 inch rock and make crushed rock for their roads and a lot more.

Ask a Question