The pole is going!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
My back garden had to be completely cleared and re-designed when I bought my present home almost eleven years ago. The two tier bed below was built against a 3ft bank and in the process it helped to hide some obstacles. The mains services to the properties at the back and front of my home (including my own) run right through my gardens. The gas main is to the left of this bed against the boundary, the sewer inspection shaft is underneath the blue pot you can see here to the right and the overhead electricity cables and street light are attached to the pole.

Over the last couple of months the electricity company has laid cables underground in the road behind my fence so that the overhead cables and the poles can be removed from properties. A new road light, on it's own pole has been placed outside my garden and further to the right. So, this means that I've had to temporarily clear the bed of many of the plants so they could dig a 4ft trench to put my own supply cable underground which ran up the right side of the pole.

Here you can see that I'd tried to disguise the pole with a couple of Clematis, they and other plants are temporarily re-sited.
086.JPG

The 4ft deep trench has been dug.
IMG_0766.JPG

This is the cable for my house electricity supply. Although it is 18 inches down I wasn't aware until the trench was dug that the cable had not been 'armoured'. I'm glad I hadn't dug that deep to plant anything or I wouldn't be here now typing this thread!
IMG_0768.JPG

Although the cable is now armoured and 4ft deep in the trench it is still close (18 inches) to the surface where it disappears to the right below, because it has to go over the pipework for the sewer. After I disputed this issue with the electricity company from a safety point of view, they have no intention of moving or armouring the cable, they say it's my problem as they were only there to put the cable that was attached to the pole underground. If I want the rest of the cable moved or armoured it's down to me and will be expensive.
IMG_0772.JPG

Today I have dug and weeded the bed in preparation for the pole removal which is imminent, it will happen sometime in the next three days. It's not certain how deep the base of the pole is but it's somewhere between 6 and 8ft. I just hope they don't wreck the rest of the bed pulling it out. I will update this thread as progress with the pole and bed occurs.
IMG_0792.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My goodness it's beautiful I'm so sorry you've had to dig it up. I hope they don't tear up the rest when they take out the pole.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My back garden had to be completely cleared and re-designed when I bought my present home almost eleven years ago. The two tier bed below was built against a 3ft bank and in the process it helped to hide some obstacles. The mains services to the properties at the back and front of my home (including my own) run right through my gardens. The gas main is to the left of this bed against the boundary, the sewer inspection shaft is underneath the blue pot you can see here to the right and the overhead electricity cables and street light are attached to the pole.

Over the last couple of months the electricity company has laid cables underground in the road behind my fence so that the overhead cables and the poles can be removed from properties. A new road light, on it's own pole has been placed outside my garden and further to the right. So, this means that I've had to temporarily clear the bed of many of the plants so they could dig a 4ft trench to put my own supply cable underground which ran up the right side of the pole.

Here you can see that I'd tried to disguise the pole with a couple of Clematis, they and other plants are temporarily re-sited.
View attachment 5822

The 4ft deep trench has been dug.
View attachment 5823

This is the cable for my house electricity supply. Although it is 18 inches down I wasn't aware until the trench was dug that the cable had not been 'armoured'. I'm glad I hadn't dug that deep to plant anything or I wouldn't be here now typing this thread!
View attachment 5824

Although the cable is now armoured and 4ft deep in the trench it is still close (18 inches) to the surface where it disappears to the right below, because it has to go over the pipework for the sewer. After I disputed this issue with the electricity company from a safety point of view, they have no intention of moving or armouring the cable, they say it's my problem as they were only there to put the cable that was attached to the pole underground. If I want the rest of the cable moved or armoured it's down to me and will be expensive.
View attachment 5825

Today I have dug and weeded the bed in preparation for the pole removal which is imminent, it will happen sometime in the next three days. It's not certain how deep the base of the pole is but it's somewhere between 6 and 8ft. I just hope they don't wreck the rest of the bed pulling it out. I will update this thread as progress with the pole and bed occurs.
View attachment 5826
How are they going to get the equipment to remove the pole back there. They will have to use a big cherry picker or a crane truck to lift the pole and probably have to dig a big hole too. Or, are they going to climb the pole and cut it down in sections with a chainsaw?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Major operations going on there Sheal :eek:

Pity you can't keep the pole as a woodpecker sanctuary :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your compliment tbendl. :) A lot of the plants in the first picture are annuals and to be honest I wasn't happy with the display they put on last year. We'll see what this summer brings.

How are they going to get the equipment to remove the pole back there.

There is a narrow road the other side of the fence and the vehicle will be brought there. I believe there is some sort of claw attachment that will grab the pole and pull it out. I just hope they don't take my fence with it! :eek:

Pity you can't keep the pole as a woodpecker sanctuary

Not much use really Zigs, I've never seen a woodpecker on the island. :D I was offered the chance to keep the pole but there's enough hassle going on in that bed from the other utilities, one less will make a difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for your compliment tbendl. :) A lot of the plants in the first picture are annuals and to be honest I wasn't happy with the display they put on last year. We'll see what this summer brings.

There is a narrow road the other side of the fence and the vehicle will be brought there. I believe there is some sort of claw attachment that will grab the pole and pull it out. I just hope they don't take my fence with it! :eek:

Not much use really Zigs, I've never seen a woodpecker on the island. :D I was offered the chance to keep the pole but there's enough hassle going on in that bed from the other utilities, one less will make a difference.
Have them pull it out and then say you want it. It would make a great raised bed.:D. Here in Texas a utility pole is set at a minimum of 12 ft

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
A great idea Chuck, but I've stopped doing anything major to my gardens as I'll be moving house next year. For now I will keep it tidy and flowering. :) I suspect the poles that are used in Texas are probably taller than ours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
That doesn't surprise me tbendl. :D We haven't got any major roads on this island either, just two lanes of traffic, both moving in opposite directions. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah I miss that, I used to live in Hawaii and we had the same thing. Now it's all 4 lanes of crazy people driving at breakneck speed to get nowhere. I envy you for sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The pole has finally gone! It was 30ft in height and had been in the garden 66 years. As expected the base was rotting and it left behind a 9ft deep hole. The workmen filled it with sand which I wasn't to happy about as I have a sandy soil. I'll dig out the top 2ft and replace it with soil and compost. The climbers will be put back on a new frame later in the year along with a couple of small shrubs, meanwhile I will fill the bed with annuals for this summer. :)

The skyline looks quite empty now without the cables and the 100+ Starlings (birds) that gathered on them in spring and autumn won't be happy they've gone.

IMG_3898.JPG

IMG_3908.JPG

IMG_3910.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks so pretty and it looks like they didn't mess up your garden at all. Good job!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you tbendl. Yes, the workmen were very good not making to much mess and most of all keeping their large boots off my plants. :) It looks pretty bare now, I'll be glad to get some plants back in it.

Ask a Question