The plant Destroyer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My plants are under attack. I am not sure whats causeing it. I have not found the culprit. Do you have anyideas on what I am looking for ? Over the last week, two of my plant have been damaged. In differnt areas one in a four ft high raises bed full of dirt I purchased from lowes and the second on the ground next to that. In a small raised garden plot i made from railroad ties. The dirt for that i dug from a field behind my property. The two plants attacked so far where a cherry tomato plant that was about 3" tall.The second plant was a bell pepper plant that was about 8" tall. The leafy branches have been clipped off the main stem on the plants and are laying on the ground around the base of the plant. Any Idea on what caused this? Pictures below. Cut bettles?

Attachments

• 0514170702.jpg
    0514170702.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 0514170712.jpg
    0514170712.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 263
Reaction score
Can't even recognise that as a tomato, presumably a small seedling,my choice would have been to grow it on a bit more, to get a healthy strong plant before planting out.

As for the peppers ,as it is just the lower leaves,possible culprit is snail or slug.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
wow snails and slugs can do that kind of damage? The tomato looked like something looped it off at the base heres what it looked like last week

Attachments

• 0514170756.jpg
    0514170756.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 261
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have looked for signs like slim trail or some kind of dropping and cant seem to find anything.

Reaction score
Doesn't mean to say it isn't slug damage, as they are active at night,it might be best to look then.

As for the tomato, you had 2 plants next to each other?

My other suggestion could be some sort of rodent, but it is more likely they would take the whole plant and not just a few leaves,here and there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
yes i had three tomato plants in a raised bed made from half of a 50gallon drum and the only plant effected was the center plant. It is raised 4ft up so rabbits would be out of the question. Maybe a field mouse. The pepper plant had all leaves and the stems clipped off right at the main stem. all were removed in the first 6" or so

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I will be out there tonight With a flash light to see if i can catch what ever is causeing the damage. If slugs are the culprit. What do you recommend to combat them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You know what is really is aggravating.. Whatever is cutting the the leaves off my plants is not even eating them . They are still whole on the ground not one bite taken out of them

Ask a Question