The Most Beautiful Sight in my Garden

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
No, its not big bulbs of onions, or wonderful new potatoes, or perfect ears of corn... its the promise of things to come that is beautiful in my eyes.

Cover crops provide 90% of my fertilizer for vegetable crops as well as substantial weed control, insect minimization, and unmatched soil building. It is sooo easy to do and so rewarding.

I use 365/24/7 cover crops rotating them into crop plantings. This winter I have had Elbon rye, small grains, turnips, peas, and clovers refurbishing a good portion of the garden soils. Reaching heights of 3-4 feet now and with a density that simply will not allow weeds to penetrate, its getting close to time to turn it under and get that section ready for spring planting. My onions and potato rows received the benefit of cover crops previously last fall and now are in full production.

Yep, its a beautiful sight to me and the promise of great gardening to come.

cover 2020.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are talking my kind of talk and "Wow" it is beautiful and the best fertilizer Mother has to Offer. Lucky YOU!

Ask a Question