The melplash show

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I said i'd put a few pictures of our local agricultural show up.

These are the previous years pics, as this year was a bit of a wash out vegetable wise, no one had much to show due to the terrible weather.

The show started off in the village of Melplash, but got too big, so its now held on 5 fields in West Bay.

007-14.jpg

As well as livestock & plants there are vintage cars, traction engines & all sorts.

006-14.jpg

008-12.jpg

This amused me, the police were given a tractor & didn't know what to do with it:D So they had it painted up like a squad car.

010-10.jpg

012-6.jpg

No prizes for my Potatoes:(

016-3.jpg

But a Third Prize for my Onions:)

019-2.jpg

And a Third for Top Tray:) Willow did the arranging so we shared the prize money.

004-17.jpg

Willow and some wooly friends:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It must be a great event and so much fun, I wish I could participate. Unfortunately we don't have anything like this here where I live. I'm sure my pumpkin would win:D . Your onions are so big and the top tray looks great, congratulations!:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
This could be the year to start something in your areas then Ladies.

Doesn't have to be big, you just need a venue and a few like minded growers. The Melplash show started off as a little village show.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The problem is I don't know anyone in my area who would grow vegetables. I live in a big city. But maybe one day I'll move to somewhere else:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The problem is I don't know anyone in my area who would grow vegetables. I live in a big city. But maybe one day I'll move to somewhere else:)

Claudine, I am sure there are gardening clubs in your city, every place that has gardeners has clubs. If there is a botanical garden near you or even a farmer's market you could probably find help and resources to do something small to start out.

Do you have pictures of that pumpkin?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I said i'd put a few pictures of our local agricultural show up...

008-12.jpg

This amused me, the police were given a tractor & didn't know what to do with it:D So they had it painted up like a squad car.

016-3.jpg

But a Third Prize for my Onions:)

019-2.jpg

And a Third for Top Tray:) Willow did the arranging so we shared the prize money.

Zigs, that tractor is quite funny! Congrats on the onions, I will be coming to you for advice in the near future!

Explain to us how the top tray category works? What is the prize awarded for?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That tractor cracked me up! Good on the police for making use of it ;)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what they do with the tractor when its not at shows, might come in handy for recovery work I suppose:D

For the top tray, you choose 3 types of veg out of a list of 8, they are then judged on size shape & colour, condition and uniformity. The prize was a voucher to spend at the farm shop that sponsored that part of the show.

It costs to enter each category, but if you enter enough, you get a free entry ticket, and the rest of the prize money covered the cost of the entries, so a free day out really:)

You can also go round the trade stands & ask for freebies, usually come away with coffee mugs, t shirts etc.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The judges didn't know what to make of this bad boy:D

001-19.jpg

It filled the jar in the middle by itself.

001-28.jpg

Ask a Question