The Life Story of Our Conifer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a few "dwarf" conifers, in 1986 and planted them around the waterfall of our former koi pool

10_01_2.jpg

Around 1990 we got rid of them except for this one which I replanted n top of the rockery

009.jpg

Over the years it grew, but I'd wired it to stop it spreading out too much.

Here it is in 2015. But it was starting to "get away from me."

P1050786.JPG

But by last year it was no longer controllable and was no longer attractive looking.

P1020401.JPG

So we had it taken down.

P1020410.JPG

But it was like an "old friend" so I kept the stump which was quite attractive.

P1020414.JPG

But this year it's steadily dying off, so sadly it's time to go.

P1030845.JPG

A man is coming tomorrow with a chain saw to cut it right down to the level of the top of the rockery. I'll be able to re-train that big euonymus along the fence to fill the gap.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sean, you must have super soil in your yard. Your variegated Euonymus will fill in nicely after the removal of the Conifer. Those variegated Euonymus grow large too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Sean, you must have super soil in your yard. Your variegated Euonymus will fill in nicely after the removal of the Conifer. Those variegated Euonymus grow large too.

Thanks for that. We live in what was the Mersey flood plain thousands of yrars ago. Although we're only haslf a mile from the river, our area doesn't flood. For centuries it was farmland until this small estate was built in 1965, so it's all alluvial soil, so quite a bit of sand content.

When I dug down the best part of six feet to build our former koi pool, there were no rocks and I could dig straight down from the concrete collar around the pool with no fear of the sides collapsing as it would had it been clay.

05__0.JPEG

05179.jpg

I've already got part of the euonymus growing over the top of the conifer (thinking ahead, last year).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Job done.
A guy was over the road yesterday cutting down a load of conifers at the end of a neighbour's back garden.
I just happened to see him with a chainsaw, so I asked him if he could cut our stump down. He hasd a look at it and said he'd be coming back on Wednesday to finish the job over the road, so he'd bring his big chainsaw and do it then.
I was amazed when he said he'd do it for twenty quid including taking away the stumps. Presently the council tips are closed so if he didn't, I'd be stuck with them. In the end as it was a multi-trunk tree it took three trips with my sack truck to get the stumps round to his wagon they were that heavy. He has the tenancy of a farm a couple of miles away so he can stick the trees in a field, let them dry out then burn them. I was that pleased to get it done. In the end by the time he'd swept up the worst of the debris off the patio it had taken him half an hour. Where could you get a tradesman for £40 an hour? So I gave him £30.

I've re-arranged the euonymus. I use horizontal wires strung between hooks in holes drilled into the concrete fence posts with which to tie stuff. I never attach anything to the wooden panels.

It doesn't look too bad, it will spread out more over time.

P1030846.JPG

There wasn't too much sawdust and the phlox on the rockery wasn't damaged.

There was a bit of a gap in the rocks next to the stump. I had a large rock that I was storing at the end of the narrow bed between the shed and the tea-house. I remember moving it there and had to use my sack truck to shift it. But I decided it was ideal for the rockery. So I just picked it up and carried it over. As they say "needs must." It must be at least six inches thick. I had some spare compost to bed it in.
I might get some more phlox to fill the gaps. Tjhe trunk of the euonymus is in the gap nest to the new rock.

P1030847.JPG

Ask a Question