The Lenghts To Which I Have To Go!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Last year I posted some pics of my damaged Bird Of Paradise flowers, thinking something was wrong with my plant. That was until I saw the dreaded cockatoos sitting on the balustrade of the deck munching away :mad:. They haven't flowered yet but on their way so I've come up with what I hope will work. These are 2 metal bed ends I've sprayed black. A little too short so I've propped them up on some retainer wall bricks. Now I'll keep an eye on which way they flower and move the pots accordingly. I hope I'll manage to protect my lovely "birds" this year.
Just a reminder of what they did to my birds hairdo.
And the construction of Twisted Curly Filbert to stop them eating my String of Pearls.
I wonder what they'll attack next.
rps20171017_122046.jpg

The King Parrots I so adore were also causing me grief by helping themselves to the carnations on my pot table, just along the back which theu couod reach. Using a wrought iron plate stand and a metal flat bowl/platter I've managed to make it difficult for them:confused:
rps20180706_035845.jpg
rps20171121_050319.jpg
rps20180705_222720.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Wow, what a mess, and the determination is admirable. It looks like nothing is safe. Other than putting the plants in cages. Are they eating anything? or just tearing it to shreds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Does this happen every year around this time? Do you suppose it might be some kind of mating ritual? I think only humans are bizarre enough to vandalize without some reason.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's such a shame to see what the birds have done. :( Unfortunately it's not a mating ritual, parrots and parakeets have tendencies to be destructive, sometimes through boredom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Cockatoos sharpen their beaks by chewing on branches and unfortunately decking, even window woodwork but I am pretty sure it is my beloved King Parrots who have done this damage. I can't remember this amount of vandalism other years. It is very frustrating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree DeborahJane they will chew on most things. My mum bred parakeets for 30+ years and was also on the local police department's list to be called if ever they had stray birds that needed to be cared for. If the birds weren't claimed they spent the rest of their lives with her. Along the way she was handed an African Grey, eventually becoming a permanent resident. Because she was a caged bird living indoors my mum used to give her cooked chicken bones to sit and shred to help relieve her boredom. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20180815_054144.jpg
Just checked him out Sheal. Lovely looking bird and your mums was obviously a lucky bird.:love: Do they live a long time. Cockatoos can live over 100 years ....100s of years of destruction. I do like them though in spite of everything :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I can't quite tell in your picture, are they Sulphur Crested Cockatoos? As you're probably very aware living with them on a daily basis, parrots have amusing characteristics and that tends to soften the blow a little when they are in destructive mode. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Even in the states, there have been shows that go into how destructive these birds are not only on plants but property like wood decks/railings and plastic items like a garden hose.
I have fire ants, so glad I do not have inquisitive destructive birds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddiehah

Latest Threads