The Joys of "Mates Rates."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
One of the advantages of being a member of a golf club, you get to know fellow members in all sorts of trades, so you can get some good deals.

Twenty years ago a self employed electrician re-wired our house, which saved me £1,000.

Teo years ago a gas heating engineer changed our combi boiler. He wasn't as cheap as a couple of quotes from companies who can get the appliances at discount prices, but it was half the price of a British Gas "gold plated system." (How can their boilers be any good if their penguin is always wearing a coat and scarf?) I know he'll come out at any time if there's a problem, but it's been perfect since day one.

My car is serviced by a member with his own small car repair business.

On Friday I was playing with a new member who works in the office for the cable company that supplies our TV phone and internet. Aftter a conversation as we went round, I got an e-mail from him this morning to say that he'd looked at my account and applied the discounts to which I'm entitled but the call centre had never offered me when I'd queried how much I was paying a few weeks ago. He's saving me £240 a year. That's nearly a third of my golf club yearly subscription.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
One of the advantages of being a member of a golf club, you get to know fellow members in all sorts of trades, so you can get some good deals.

Twenty years ago a self employed electrician re-wired our house, which saved me £1,000.

Teo years ago a gas heating engineer changed our combi boiler. He wasn't as cheap as a couple of quotes from companies who can get the appliances at discount prices, but it was half the price of a British Gas "gold plated system." (How can their boilers be any good if their penguin is always wearing a coat and scarf?) I know he'll come out at any time if there's a problem, but it's been perfect since day one.

My car is serviced by a member with his own small car repair business.

On Friday I was playing with a new member who works in the office for the cable company that supplies our TV phone and internet. Aftter a conversation as we went round, I got an e-mail from him this morning to say that he'd looked at my account and applied the discounts to which I'm entitled but the call centre had never offered me when I'd queried how much I was paying a few weeks ago. He's saving me £240 a year. That's nearly a third of my golf club yearly subscription.
I have enjoyed being a member of a variety of groups, the latest being a group started after the Great Recession, where members is limited to 100 members but the members must be in a non related or duplicated business so that each member might find better cause to do do business with the other members. The bread of services has been useful, as too has the ability to refer someone to those I know will take care of them at a high level of service.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my cable TV/telephone/internet bill for this month.
The discounts my golfing pal, got me, reduced it from £102 last month to £74 this month, so I'm well pleased.

Ask a Question