the grounds got rocks and stones all underneath it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a big garden but the grounds got rocks and stones all underneath it, the soil is hard and there's tough weeds everywhere so we can't plant anything and we don't know how to solve these problems.

we've got a polly tunnel in the meantime but would ideally like to plant in the garden too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We've got a big garden but the grounds got rocks and stones all underneath it, the soil is hard and there's tough weeds everywhere so we can't plant anything and we don't know how to solve these problems.

we've got a polly tunnel in the meantime but would ideally like to plant in the garden too
Use a pick and shovel to remove the rocks and make a nice wall or useful firepit with them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a big garden that sounds like a lot of work, DirtMechanic. I would start off with a small square where you want to grow something, make a wall around it with the rocks and then mow the rest and chuck the chopped up stuff into the square to rot, make compost and add to the earth. The rest of the garden will look better flattened and you can gradually extend your growing area. A compost bin for al your kitchen waste would be a good idea as well. If you add anything that could make earth in the long run, the contents of the hoover bag, dust you sweep from the drive and patio, autumn leaves, everything, it is amazing how quickly you can build up a patch of fertile soil. My garden slopes slightly north and is really heavy clay in some places, one bit I dug out about a foot deep and used the clay to make a wall along the north side, after a year I have a bed with a slight south facing slope about 10 foot by 6 foot with a good eighteen inches of good soil that I have just planted out celariac in.
Basically, little and often kept up continuously will get you there, try tackling it all at once and you will kill yourselves and be discouraged.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would be a good idea to talk with @Sheal, who also lives in Scotland and has, I believe, similar problems, to compare notes.
For an immediate solution, to grow a few veggies or flowers, a raised bed might temporarily solve the problem?
Hello Dolly ☺️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @Tetters. (y)

I'm willing to help but the OP hasn't posted anything else since creating this thread back in July 2021. I think it might be a waste of time adding anything at the moment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @Tetters. (y)

I'm willing to help but the OP hasn't posted anything else since creating this thread back in July 2021. I think it might be a waste of time adding anything at the moment.
Oh! I usually check this sort of thing, but I slipped up this time. Trouble is here that this problem keeps rearing its head, and nobody bothers to sort it out. Certain members go back to year dot to resurrect old stuff - we have to keep our wits about us or give up altogether :oops: ...think I'll go n put the kettle on.....;)

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wasn't it the English that say "always look at the bright side of life"? Do the Scottish find offence in being called English? I read half of a book once called "Power Of Positive Thinking"....
Anyway holding on to old stuff is a form of Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)...but the minute you throw something away (delete) it is when you need it...we can chose how to waste our time and bandwidth...still I guess and you never know when some guy in Poland will be surfing the internet looking for a solution to his rock problem...
Oh, and how about the one post wonder people that will come into your forum and ask a bunch of questions and you Never hear from them again........

Aaand you can have really "by the rules" Moderators that you can run into that can suspend you for going way to Off Topic...
*I* run into them A Lot!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh! I usually check this sort of thing, but I slipped up this time. Trouble is here that this problem keeps rearing its head, and nobody bothers to sort it out. Certain members go back to year dot to resurrect old stuff - we have to keep our wits about us or give up altogether :oops: ...think I'll go n put the kettle on.....;)

I know you do but not a problem @Tetters. :) A lot of threads can be confusing when thinking you're about to answer someone's question and it's way out of date. The same with threads that are picture bombed, it becomes quite annoying at times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't it the English that say "always look at the bright side of life"?

There's a song @Loose Screw called "Always look on the bright side of life" and probably made famous by the English 'Monty Python' comedy show.

Do the Scottish find offence in being called English?

I've never actually risked my life to find out! :D I'm English living in Scotland and certainly wouldn't call a Scot English - ever!

you never know when some guy in Poland will be surfing the internet looking for a solution to his rock problem...

If I come across him I'll be happy to answer his questions at the time.

Ask a Question