The first Firefly this year...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Tonite, I saw the first firefly of the year ! I had never seen one before I moved to the south, and now i look forward to seeing these awesome little beetles every spring and summer.
Apparently, it is the males who are the "flashers" (kind of makes sense, doesn't it ??), and they are signaling to the lady fireflies that they are there, and ready for romance.
I saw a really neat picture online where someone had put out little green LED lites in the grass, and it looked like it was full of fireflies at nite. Even though I prefer the real ones, i think this might be fun to do, if i found some lights that were green and would solar charge during the day.
How pretty would that be, twinkling in the little garden area ..... I guess I will keep an eye out for some LED fireflies ! !
If you have never seen fireflies, here is a picture of one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 347

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our area does not get the fireflies until middle to late June, it still gets cool in the evenings here. I like to see the flies twinkling in the air at night. LED fireflies would be pretty in potted plants on the patio or deck also.
images

Reaction score
I have never seen a firefly :( That's a beautiful picture, happyflowerlady! It was a really clear and nice close-up, not a big fan of bug close-ups, but this one is really beautiful! I loved the colors!

@Pat That's a nice picture of them in action (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I loved looking for fireflies when I was a child! They're magical creatures:) I feel very fortunate, because there are many of them in my area. This year, I haven't seen any yet, but I've been to busy to go outside in the evening.
Today, I'll look for them:)

Reaction score
Awe, I could only wish to have fireflies here. I have never seen fireflies in real life, only in movies in books. They just aren't something I think about. I would love to see them in my garden one day. :(

Reaction score
Oh I love them too. I have been seeing them for a few days now. I always love this season. Happy memories of collecting them as a child in a glass jar with holes in the lid, a fun little child 'flashlight', science project or show and tell. Then setting them free.

Fireflies flitting around remind me of blowing bubbles for some reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmarketingcompany

Latest Threads