The different way things we say mean,

• Thread starter Peace perfect peace
  • Start date
P

Peace perfect peace

As a child i was born to an irish father with full irish grand mother And my mother was very english,
My younger brother and i lived in the north (Liverpool) and my mothers middle class mother lived on the other side of the river Mersey in a place called Egremont,

My brother and i had got use to the irish language of my father and certain things said, ie if my young brother or i passed wind !!!! My father would ask
"Have one of you whispered?"
It was an Irish way of asking if you'd farted,
My very very English granny would visit us every week (she thought she owned us )
One day a knock on the door and i was introduced to my Irish grand mother, she was very kind to the both of us and gave us sweets and told us stories,

The next day "having heard this Irish woman had arrived at our house and called herself "granny" our English granny was'nt having any of this and made tracks to get to our house to stake her claim on her grand children,

A knock at the front door and my mother opend it, My english gran ran in landed on her knees and with a loud voice said "Come here and let me whisper in your ears"

My Irish granny couldn't believe what she'd just heard,:oops:

Funny the way one short distance away and the meanings of everyday words can be worlds apart.

Ask a Question