JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The Perennial Plant Association has named Butterfly Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa), as its 2017 Perennial Plant of the Year. The plant is also known is Butterflyweed, Butterfly Flower, and Orange Milkweed.
(If you'd like to see the article, here's the link.
http://www.perennialplant.org/index.php/component/k2/item/190-2017-perennial-plant-of-the-year )

The plant happens to be my personal favorite. I grow about 30 of them in my native garden, my pond garden, and my smaller birdhouse gardens. They are one of the brightest orange plants I have ever seen, and stand out even more on cloudy days. They attract butterflies, bees, and even the occasional hummingbird. Monarch Butterflies lay their eggs on this plant and the caterpillars eat it to survive. It's fun watching the caterpillar grow over the course of a couple weeks before it wanders off and forms a chrysalis. The plants need full sun and prefer dry soil.

Here's some photos I took of my own plants:
IMG_9810 copy.jpg

IMG_9753 copy.jpg

IMG_1489 copy2.jpg

IMG_1911 copy1.jpg

IMG_3161 copy1.jpg

Here are a few photos I took of Orange Milkweed in the wild, and the first photo was taken at a nature center.
IMG_9865 copy.jpg

IMG_9710 copy.jpg

IMG_9980 copy.jpg

IMG_1903 copy.jpg

I highly recommend it. If you're interested, you can either buy plants next Spring (often sold at garden centers), or buy seeds online and scatter them where you want them to grow right away!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Very nice JB, i have tried to grow A. tuberosa 3 or 4 times, but it doesn't want to grow in my garden. Other species of Asclepias do well, but tuberosa refuses :rolleyes: In the fifth photo from the bottom, you can see a good example of what is called "notching". The caterpillars frequently chew "notches" above what they are going to feed on (see the dangling part of the bud stem?). This cuts the flow of sap to make what they ingest somewhat less toxic and evidently more palatable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's a plant I have struggled with also. I pulled a few out this fall and found they had long beautiful taproots. Why the top growth was so lacking, I haven't a clue. From what you are saying JB, maybe they are getting too much water. I do have one spot in my yard that is quite dry, and gets good sun. I'll give them one more try in that location. If not, I am having great success with common milkweed.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's a plant I have struggled with also. I pulled a few out this fall and found they had long beautiful taproots. Why the top growth was so lacking, I haven't a clue. From what you are saying JB, maybe they are getting too much water. I do have one spot in my yard that is quite dry, and gets good sun. I'll give them one more try in that location. If not, I am having great success with common milkweed.

As long as they're in dry-medium soil and in full sun, they should grow quite easy, especially here in the US where they're native to most states. Good luck!

Ask a Question