Tempted on these forums?

Reaction score
I have been on this forum for sometime and each time someone speaks about some plant I have such a desire to go out and get it.. the fact that I have no space at all is completely forgotten in the heat of such temptation.. does anyone feel like this here?
I am so caught up in this gardening thing its like falling in love all over again. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It does happen, I end up growing things I wouldn't have thought of, plus, being staff on another forum, members post random seeds to me. Had a whole shoebox full of Parsley seeds last year:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh yes, I love these forums too - it's so inspirational! I'm here every evening and there is always something new and interesting - and I really, really want to have all of these beautiful flowers!:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
All the time, Maddie, lol, all the time. I am still trying to figure out where I am going to plant the cloves from the sprouted garlic my mother gave me. I may have to resort to using recycled plastic water jugs.

Reaction score
I am glad that I am not alone in all my craziness.. Good to have you all here... and honestly ..i love to be here... I go/row crazy..... :)

@ zigs .. I wish I could have some of those seeds too :) lol ...If I had the space.. I work in my garden all day and live there too... :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Given the last of them away down the local allotments now Maddie:)

Things i've grown as a direct result of forums:D

Walking Stick Cabbage,
Tree Cabbage,
Ne Plus Ultra Peas,
Champion of England Peas (These are tall peas, too tall for mechanical harvesting so have become rare varieties)
Bridgwater Beans,
Peter Peppers (google that one, as i'll get banned if I put a picture up here:D)
Various Russian Kales,
Russian Red Sunflowers,
Big Zac Tomatoes
Tobacco, although the slugs ate all of that:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
OMG! Where the heck did those peppers come from???!!!

And people think certain mushrooms are scandalous. They are nothing compared to those peppers.

I wish I had some organic cherry tomato seeds. I'd like to grow some over the winter, though they'd likely have to spend most of the time indoors once January rolls around.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D It makes you wonder.

Don't start your Tomatoes off till the light levels improve, not much advantage of trying to overwinter seedlings, later planted ones will do better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Perhaps winter tomatoes will have to go on the back burner until I have more information. Right now, in the right spot they would get about 5 or 6 hours of morning sun on a good weather day and possibly some evening sun if I move them after lunch.

The sun sort of moves east to west across the window in the room where they would live. On days when it wasn't blistery out, I could also set them outside.

Reaction score
Given the last of them away down the local allotments now Maddie:)

Things i've grown as a direct result of forums:D

Walking Stick Cabbage,
Tree Cabbage,
Ne Plus Ultra Peas,
Champion of England Peas (These are tall peas, too tall for mechanical harvesting so have become rare varieties)
Bridgwater Beans,
Peter Peppers (google that one, as i'll get banned if I put a picture up here:D)
Various Russian Kales,
Russian Red Sunflowers,
Big Zac Tomatoes
Tobacco, although the slugs ate all of that:(
LOL ... the Peter peppers are scandalous indeed.. I wondered why you said you if you post a picture here you would get banned... Lol Now I know... I have never imagined a vegetable could look like that... :D
I have heard of walking stick cabbages and tree cabbages. I may have to google them out too.
Now you are putting more ideas into my head..lol :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
LOL ... the Peter peppers are scandalous indeed.. I wondered why you said you if you post a picture here you would get banned... Lol Now I know... I have never imagined a vegetable could look like that... :D
I have heard of walking stick cabbages and tree cabbages. I may have to google them out too.
Now you are putting more ideas into my head..lol :D

Same here, Maddie, LOL. I'll have to get better about saving seeds. Right now I have some marigold (which I have never successfully germinated) and some zinnia (very easy - didn't plant this year though) and three kinds of basil.

I'm going to have to take a look at those cabbages, though I think those peppers may have scarred me for life, lol.

Reaction score
Maddie, you're a woman after my own heart. I have been passionate about plants for the past 25 years and I do the same thing: I never turn down a plant. Even those plants that friends give me, to nurse back to health, I usually don't give it back. Most of the time they don't ask for it back, and if they do, I have a way of convincing them that, if you take the plant back to your place it's probably going to end up in the same predicament it was in before (which is usually true). For the past couple years though, I've not purchased too many but what I've done is rooted and combined plants that I already have, and made new ones.

This is another container garden I created, just yesterday (12/17/12). This is a combination of 3 plants in one large pot. Today I moved the plant a couple inches, and it fell off the stand, dirt spilling everywhere. I cleaned it up, cleaned up the mess, and this is what it looks like now (bottom-right plant). In a couple weeks or so, it will be full. Top right is a birdhouse I bought at Walmart for $5, I put some dirt on the inside and placed a pothos inside. I cut it from the bottom so it will grow thicker.

I do sometimes feel a little out of place here, because most of the time you guys are posting about veggie and outdoor gardens... I doubt if I'll ever do veggie gardening but I am working on a monster flower garden for Spring/Summer 2013 ..

hybrid-2-combined.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I do sometimes feel a little out of place here, because most of the time you guys are posting about veggie and outdoor gardens... I doubt if I'll ever do veggie gardening but I am working on a monster flower garden for Spring/Summer 2013 ..

Task, we post about everything on here, even some stuff not necessarily related to gardening. There are some threads specifically about flowers though. There's one thread where Maddie and I have been sharing useful links we found that relate to the topics we have discussed. I'm sure there's plenty for you to contribute to and share what you know with us.

BTW, that's quite a jungle you've got going on there!

Reaction score
I love plants, trees and flowers that's why I joined the forum. Though, I haven't post much I came along sometimes and just read your post. Yeah, one you started one thing that you really love it will temp you to do it again and again like gardening and talking about plants and flowers. :) I might be busy with the call of life to do some work to caught up with the bills but still my heart belongs in gardening... :) You are not alone Maddie.

Reaction score
Maddie, you're a woman after my own heart. I have been passionate about plants for the past 25 years and I do the same thing: I never turn down a plant. Even those plants that friends give me, to nurse back to health, I usually don't give it back. Most of the time they don't ask for it back, and if they do, I have a way of convincing them that, if you take the plant back to your place it's probably going to end up in the same predicament it was in before (which is usually true). For the past couple years though, I've not purchased too many but what I've done is rooted and combined plants that I already have, and made new ones.

This is another container garden I created, just yesterday (12/17/12). This is a combination of 3 plants in one large pot. Today I moved the plant a couple inches, and it fell off the stand, dirt spilling everywhere. I cleaned it up, cleaned up the mess, and this is what it looks like now (bottom-right plant). In a couple weeks or so, it will be full. Top right is a birdhouse I bought at Walmart for $5, I put some dirt on the inside and placed a pothos inside. I cut it from the bottom so it will grow thicker.

hybrid-2-combined.jpg

Cool! I wish I could be your neighbor and we could exchange notes and plants over the fence... LOL. Task.. some veggies are so cool looking . I had a bunch of lettuce which beat all the other plants in my little garden hands down with its foliage.. now my beet is looking so beautiful with it lush looking leaves... i never did think of herbs and veggies until I read some stuff on line.. I was an all round flower woman... but now I try my hand at everything ... my dill and fennel look so lovely and could put some ferns to shame.. Try it, with your kind of love for plants you will soon fall in love with veggies and herbs too :)

Ask a Question